Medical class and ratings

million_air

What ratings can you get with a 3rd class medical? I know you can get a PPL but do you need a second class for instrument or commercial?

You can get any rating with a 3rd class medical.

You only need a second or first class when you are acting as PIC or required crew in a commercial operation.

Nope not to get them, but to use one of them you do. You can't use your com. unless you have a a 2nd class.

You can get everything from sutdent to cfi to atp on a 3rd class medical if I'm not mistaken. However, you cannot exercise the privledges of anything but a student or private pilots license with a 3rd class. The only way I could see this being useful is for insurance purposes. A person who owns their own plane and just flies it privately every could probably get quite a break on his insurance if they held an ATP, even if they could only get a 3rd class medical.

[ QUOTE ]
You can get everything from student to cfi to atp on a 3rd class medical if I'm not mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]You are not mistaken.

The removal of requirements for anything other than a Class 3 for any pilot certificate or rating was part of the 1997 Part 61 rules revision:

==============================
The FAA has also retained its proposal to require that an applicant for a private, commercial, or ATP certificate possess only a third-class medical certificate; but after further review, has determined that the medical certificate requirements that were proposed to be contained in the eligibility requirements listed under each pilot certificate subpart should be placed in § 61.23. The purpose of this change is to reflect the FAA's position that a medical certificate applies to the type of pilot operation being conducted.
Most commenters support the FAA's proposal, which provides that applicants would only need a third-class medical certificate to be eligible to apply for a private, commercial, airline transport pilot, or flight instructor certificate. This change also was made in § 61.39, but is discussed here. These commenters feel that the proposal would encourage pilots to seek advanced training, even if they did not intend to exercise the privileges of the higher certificate. AOPA, GAMA, and NAFI support permitting applicants for a commercial or ATP certificate to hold only a third-class medical certificate. Like the other commenters, these associations felt that the proposal would encourage training toward advanced certificates and would improve safety.
==============================

so if all you have is a third class( and i ask this because i have diabetes and im pretty sure your limited to a 3rd class medical with a special waiver) the most you can be is a PPL. can you also have instrument and multi engine? But you still could get anything above it like cfi or commercial you just cant use those license without a higher class medical?

[ QUOTE ]
so if all you have is a third class( and i ask this because i have diabetes and im pretty sure your limited to a 3rd class medical with a special waiver) the most you can be is a PPL. can you also have instrument and multi engine? But you still could get anything above it like cfi or commercial you just cant use those license without a higher class medical?

[/ QUOTE ]One more time.

You can get every single pilot and instructor certificate and rating that the FAA has to offer with only a third class medical.

You only need a third class medical to exercise the privileges of a private pilot. That means that you may do anything that the FAA says that a private pilot may do. Doesn't matter what ratings. If you are instrument rated, you may fly instruments. If you are multi rated that means you may fly multis. If you happen to have a B-747 type rating, you can fly one of those also. You just can't fly for hire.

If you have a flight instructor certificate, you may also do anything that the FAA says that a flight instructor can do. Flight instructors are actually allowed to teach in limited situations without =any= medical certificate, but the most they ever need is third class.

I can understand your dilemma, but so long as you continue to receive s Special Issuance medicals you should be fine so long as you don't have commercial career goals. If you do, you might check with your AME or the medical certification people at AOPA about whether the FAA gives Special Issuance authorizations for higher level medical certificates with your condition.

[ QUOTE ]
However, you cannot exercise the privledges of anything but a student or private pilots license with a 3rd class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you instruct with a third class?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, you cannot exercise the privledges of anything but a student or private pilots license with a 3rd class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't you instruct with a third class?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can. If you do not need to act as PIC of the flight, ie advanced training such as instrument or commercial, you do not need a medical at all.

Back