Medical Cert Address

ian

So with all the military moving I've always left my FAA address as my parents house. Now getting out of the active duty side of things and would still like to keep my parents address since we will probably be moving again within a year or so...is that an issue? Also, do i need to change my medical address? The address on my class 1 is my address from my last base before we moved. Figure I should ask these questions....
Thanks!

This is the most violated FAR; proper use of O2 is the second.
As long as you can receive any notifications or letters sent from the FFA you should be fine [not legal advise]. However, failure to file the correct address in a timely manner has stood the test of time as not being a valid excuse in FFA actions.

I've kept mine as my parents and kind of wondered the same thing. As much as I'm gone of know of had mail sooner that way anyway. Nothing like hearing them say "you got something from the FAA" to get the hear rate going though.

well my actually cert is my parents address and always has been. My medical is an address in CA that i will never use again.Just wondering if I need to change that or just wait til next year when I get a new one.

As long as you can receive any notifications or letters sent from the FFA you should be fine [not legal advise]. However, failure to file the correct address in a timely manner has stood the test of time as not being a valid excuse in FFA actions.
cacc6a0dc8967c77e88a790e76030e7c.jpg

tl;dr: don't violate any real FARs[1].

[1] Not legal advice. I am always in strict, 100% compliance with all applicable Federal regulations, and you should be too.

I've never seen a case brought against an airman for having an address other than where they hang their hat. For sure, there are a ton of businessmen who use their office address instead of their home address.

The only time I've seen a problem is when the letter comes back to the FAA marked with "not at this address". The DEA is the agency that wants to know where you live. The FAA just wants to be able to get a letter to you.

When you are issued a new airman certificate, you can request that it be mailed somewhere other than your home address. You do that by attaching a note to your FAA Form 8710-1 application. Also, you can update your address online. Here is a link for the contact point at the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/contact_airmen_certification/

If you're really interested and want to read a great story about an airman who put everything he had into fighting the FAA on a related issue, here is the story:

http://www.airsport-corp.com/avweb.html

It's a bit dated, but it's a very interesting read.

@scooter2525, Yeah, I know. You seriously think this was a typo?
I type it this way this EVERY time I post because there are many occasions when they make it difficult to tell the difference between the two organizations......just sayin'
I figured it wasnt a typo. But are you doing it for the lols?

I did my checkride/IACRA on one address and then changed it before registry processed the cert, so interested to know which one they send it to (both are still good, just my parents will move soon). There's no requirement the address on your certificate should be the current one, just that the record should be, and they always ask for a mailing address, rarely interested in the physical one.

I did my checkride/IACRA on one address and then changed it before registry processed the cert, so interested to know which one they send it to (both are still good, just my parents will move soon). There's no requirement the address on your certificate should be the current one, just that the record should be, and they always ask for a mailing address, rarely interested in the physical one.
If I remember correctly, the new form asks for both the mailing and physical address (if address is rural route or P.O. Box).

Yeah when I tried to change it online they couldn't do it as it wasn't a usps approved ie straightforward address, so I mailed the form in and they changed it in a few days.

Still not sure what stage they send the cert out though, should IACRA say docs complete?

Alex.

I meant yes, you must register a physical one, but on most forms I've seen they ask for a mailing one. As long as I have access to the mail, I don't have to reside there is how I view it.

In the FAA database you can only look up with a surname, if you go to landings.com you can search by anything, zip code for eg. I am the only pilot at my zip code, but didn't know you could do that...

Back