Mechanical Engineer considering A&P License

araso001

Hi Everyone,

I am a Mechanical Engineer with only about 2 years general engineering experience. I really want to get into the aerospace industry but I've found that its quite difficult to get an aerospace job unless you already have some association to the industry. Based on this, I was considering getting my A&P license from George T Baker Avaiation School. Would this be worth it? Or would I just be wasting time and money?

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, nor a mechanic, and know nothing about the Aerospace engineering discipline.

That said, it seems to me that some good old fashioned networking might produce better results. I assume there are professional organizations for aerospace engineers. Join a couple and start going to meetings/conferences. Start getting to know people. If you take classes, take aerospace engineering classes. Start learning the language and the issues of the profession.

Hi Everyone,

I am a Mechanical Engineer with only about 2 years general engineering experience. I really want to get into the aerospace industry but I've found that its quite difficult to get an aerospace job unless you already have some association to the industry. Based on this, I was considering getting my A&P license from George T Baker Avaiation School. Would this be worth it? Or would I just be wasting time and money?
Disclaimer: I am an Aero Engineer working in the aerospace industry. But I still don't claim to know much about anything.

If you are willing and able, piloting experience is favored very highly by the smaller companies. Coming out of college that was something potential employers always commented on.

If you are looking to go work for a larger company, then you just have to make yourself look good on paper and hope your resume makes it through HRs software.

This next comment is going to sound a little bitter, but when working for a company that produces certified airplanes, you are either an engineer or a mechanic. They won't let you bounce around and be both. Being an engineer seems to eliminate you from any possibility of turning a wrench (unless you can show some core knowledge to the right guy). This has shown true for me even with experimental aircraft.

That's my two cents...

Back