ME?? A Crew Scheduler????

ATA_victim

I have a job interview this monday as a crew scheduler for ACA.. I ASK FOR ALL PILOTS TO UNITE TO HELP A FELLOW PILOT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been studying the FAR's on crew rest requirements..any help would go a long way..except for those "get sleep" and "wear a tie" statements haha

thanks guys

Tell them you'll lie and ignore the contract to put a body in the seat...you'd be sure to get hired.

Everything you are studying, forget it, management will let you know "the real" crew rest requirements.
tongue.gif

Be prepaed to ruin peoples days, alot....

Actually, you can tell them about a 'deal' you're going to make the pilot, then have him do the trip, then the 'deal' is forgotten about.

Or make sure you call someone out of seniority on Xmas day when he's in Fresno, to immediately report to the airport for a flight from ATL to PVD and how if he can't make the trip (even though it's his day off) that he's going to get a "failure to cover". And then when he explains that he's thousands of miles away, tell him to expect a call from the chief pilot about failure to cover a trip then promptly hang up on him!
smile.gif

I just had one "incident" with crew scheduling in 7 years at Delta so I can't complain too much.

At Skyway, geez, another story entirely. I had to literally spend 20 minutes arguing with one of the schedulers that I couldn't legally fly a specific trip. And if it was between getting fired for not volunteering to break an FAR or running the risk of having the FAA audit my schedule data and then violate me for doing so, I'd gladly turn in my books and ID at their earliest convenience.

Ahh, gotta love flying without a pilot contract!
smile.gif

ATA Dude, let me look around to see what I can give you to help you out. Don't listen to these folks, they are just jealous of you, HA!

thanks..would appreciate it greatly....yeah..I assume getting on pilots nerves is in the job desciption..Im just excited to have a desk job after 4 years of throwing bags.. and PAWOB reports!!! although I do miss pushing back CRJ's and listening to the pilots say how hot the flight attendent is...but CRJ cpt's have really corny jokes!!!

If you get the job...

You'll be talking to pilots a lot. Especially the new ones who are most up to date on the hiring process and stuck on reserve. If you treat pilots with as nicely as possible and with the respect they deserve you could make some great contacts. Most crew schedulers have no reason to treat pilots with respect as they don't care about the job we do...their job is to put bodies into seats. If you stand out as someone who is different and fair, I would think you'd be remembered well when you have the minimums to get hired. You'll be walking a tight line between being nice to the pilots and doing what your company demands as far filling the seats.

Re: If you get the job...

Hey, if it hadn't been for an Eagle scheduling screw-up in July of 1996, I never would have met my husband! So, I guess I should be thankful that Eagle schedulers were idiots..........Hmmm

well i just got back from the interview......

Alot of "what are your strength's and weakness's?" and "how do you handle stress?" Overall I think it went ok..I should know by this wed. I ended up interviewing as a crew "tracker" which "tracks crews" and helps with the crew scheduler hand in hand...my shift would start at 0430 and end at 1330!!! it pays 10 dollars an hour...and is VERY STRESSFUL from what I saw in the dispatch area...would any of you do this for 10 an hour??? if you were a 20 year old Private Pilot?

I guess I'd do it if I needed a job and wanted to learn about airline ops and maybe get an foot in the door. However, being a CFI and building time would serve you better if a piloting career is your goal.

[ QUOTE ]
I ended up interviewing as a crew "tracker" which "tracks crews" and helps with the crew scheduler hand in hand...my shift would start at 0430 and end at 1330!!! it pays 10 dollars an hour...and is VERY STRESSFUL from what I saw in the dispatch area...would any of you do this for 10 an hour??? if you were a 20 year old Private Pilot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 21 year old CFII, who instructs whenever I'm not working my 12 HOUR shift in a dispatch department. My hours are 7pm to 7am, 4 days a week...and I instruct about 5 hours a day when I'm "off shift". I love my "extra dispatch job" because I am making some awesome contacts, opening doors that have already gotten me in some exciting cockpits, and (due to the fact that it is day time on the other side of the world when I'm working), I get to talk to the embassys in tons of Mid-East, European, and African countries and get the "routine" phone patches from crews at FL350 over Turkey or some other cool place. Needless to say, I'm having a great time. Also, I believe what I am learning is extremely valuable (hopefully my new found experience with NAT tracks, overflight permits, part 121 regs, crew duty time and rest regs, and DC10 figures will prove a handy feather in my cap when I'm interviewing for a "real" pilot job in the near future).

So, I guess by all my rambling, my advice to you is...take the job (if you are offered it), and run with every opportunity you get. A foot in the door is priceless and the knowledge you will pick up from another view in aviation could prove to be that step ahead of the pack when interviewing for the cockpit. Just make sure to keep flying and building time, it is a lot of work; but us early 20yr olds can still fit in a good party at least one night a week
smile.gif
. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!!!

Back