MD-90 Thrust Reverser?

Blues

I have a question my dad asked me. Do MD-90s have thrust reversers? He said that he noticed on his last business trip that they weren't using them and that they were on the brakes quite hard. Thanks for any info.

The MD-90 has thrust reversers! They're not quite as loud as MD-88 thrust reversers but they're there.

Most thrust reversers on high bypass turbofan engines make more noise than braking action, however.

He was just talking about how usually you can hear the engines spool up when they go to reverse thrust and he just didn't hear it at all on both landings of the trip, one into DFW and the other into San Diego. Just wondering if there would be a reason not to use them such as noise abatement.

When you go into reverse thrust, they "unlock" or position the deflectors to vector thrust forward, and as you move the reverser handles backwards, the engines increase RPM.

On the low-bypass turbofan engines (like the -88), I personally think that just having the reverser clamshells position for reverse thrust causes most of the drag and any extra engine RPM just makes it louder!
smile.gif

Isn't it cheaper to use only brakes when conditions allow as brake pads are cheap and engines spooling up to a high RPM quickly causes more then usual wear. Atleast that is what we hear over here.

Well, brakes are cheaper, however tires can blow (trust me!) and brakes get mighty hot at some airports, like 500F.

Plus, I guess the rationale is if you run off the end of the runway, and you didn't use reverse thrust, even though it's not used in computing required landing distance, it's just one more thing that the board is going to harp on you about.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, brakes are cheaper, however tires can blow (trust me!) and brakes get mighty hot at some airports, like 500F.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of a sight I saw when I was working Ramp Control at ORD. An American Mad Dog pulling off of 27L on Tango at about 5:00pm local and the left main disks were red hot glowing. Nice site.
shocked.gif

Back