MD-80 I think

juskl

I just got back from a school in Alabama (old Ft. McLellan). We flew out of Atlanta on Delta MD-80 I believe. I got to admit as much as I would love to fly it, I was not thrilled being a passanger. That plane is very spartan. No wonder folks would rather fly the likes of SouthWest and America West. At least their planes are a heck of alot newer (No offense Doug:).

We flew out on America West on an Airbus A-320. Much nicer plane. I know there are the financial issues with Delta and the other Biggies, but I would think that customer satisfaction would be much better with new aircraft. Maybe I am just spoiled, I don't know. I was just a little shocked. That and we sat in the plane for almost two hours while ground crew tried to trouble shoot a failed generator. That put alot of confidence in the passengers. Quite a few wanted to get off. I could care less, as I love planes and better understood what it all meant.

Transportation is what you needed, and transportation is what you got. To a pilot, an airplane is a thing of beauty no matter how old or worn out looking it is. In a perfect world, yes, maybe all airlines would have brand new 737's and A320's, but Delta and all the "Biggies" are doing well to stay afloat right now.

You really need to step up to one of these and leave the cattle car behind
wink.gif

Falcon_900EX_Cabin-3.jpg

Ain't that the truth, FC!

The -88s aren't that bad to ride in ... the FAs hate working them, though ... the Continental FAs call the MD-80 the "slave ship". The best narrow-body bird to ride in, in my opinion, is the A-320 family. Although I'm definitely a Boeing cheerleader, Airbus makes a far more comfortable passenger cabin.

FL270

The 757 is worse to work than a 80/88 from a F/A standpoint. The main cabin aisle in the 757 just never seems to end............

Juskl,
It depends which MD-88 you were flying on that particular day. Some of our MD-88 are really junk and some of them are descent. I will hve to admit that some our 733, MD-88, and MD-90 have never been an attractive plane to fly on as a passenger. My favorite DL plane is the 738.

[ QUOTE ]
The 757 is worse to work than a 80/88 from a F/A standpoint. The main cabin aisle in the 757 just never seems to end............

[/ QUOTE ]

gasp....gasp...MQAAORD oh no you didn't
tongue.gif

I love the 757 and have heard a few flight attendents complain about it.

But never,ever,ever heard a pilot complain about flying it....never and that all that counts
laugh.gif

True tho that the A320's cabin is far more roomier then the 757 with it's wider cabin and double aisle walk way...(Forgive me Boeing gods)

But the 757 looks better and has more power then the A320.

laugh.gif

Matthew

formerly Zen~Aku

Remember pilots and FAs have totally different standards about why they like aircraft, Matthew. I have never heard a 757 pilot say anything but good things about their aircraft, because they are a great-performing, pilot-friendly airliner. For the FAs, though, that is a long aisle to walk up and down over the course of a five hour flight.

FL270

I find that I really like an awful lot of airplanes for many different reasons. I find that there are all kinds of awsome airplanes, from Cessna 182s to King Airs to B777s. Honestly, the only aircraft that I really don't like are the CRJs and the ERJs. A lot of the regional jets just don't seem to have a lot of character
tongue.gif

P.S. How can I get an image to appear with all my posts near my Username?

juskl-First off the md-80 series is one of the greatest, and safest line of planes, I would love to fly it as well. And second you are not spoiled if you have been flying on America West(recently ranked as the worst us airline.) Delta has always been a great airline, i am sure that you just cought them on a bad day. Catch the major airlines on a good day, and it would make you cry having to fly on A. West again.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember pilots and FAs have totally different standards about why they like aircraft, Matthew. I have never heard a 757 pilot say anything but good things about their aircraft, because they are a great-performing, pilot-friendly airliner. For the FAs, though, that is a long aisle to walk up and down over the course of a five hour flight.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... FL270 flight attendants must really hate the 757-300
smirk.gif

I want to be a pilot and would kill to fly a 757. In fact it is my fave plane.

So not to be an a$$ but what F/A's says about a plane matters lil to me. I prolly won't start carin bout F/A's till Everett becomes one.

Lastly MD-88 are nice planes but MD-90's are by far superior in everyway. As Doug would most likely agree. My only prob with em is the 5 abreast seating. Maaaaaan and you thought a 757 was crampt.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
What city in AL did you fly from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Delta only flies to 4 Alabama cities I believe.

Birmingham, Huntsville,Montgomery and Mobile.

I think that Huntsville is all Delta connection now. So was prolly Birmingham. Or Montgomery and Mobile.

And hey...lets not knock America West. There my home state airline.

Matthew

The rumor at Delta was that we got so many 88's because Ron Allen was in love with McDonald Douglas. From my understand he vetoed a deal with Boeing on 737-300's.

Doug, actually we flew out of Atlanta. Flight 351 I believe. Left (or supposed to have departed) at 1145 direct to Phoenix. We actually left at about 1400 local. Generator prob.

Add my two hour bus ride from Anniston and you have yourself a day.

I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of America West even though they are my home town airline also. I am a Southwest fan through and through. The new 737-800's are very nice and the crew has always been more then friendly. But I have had my bad days with them as well in the 15 plus years I have been flying on them.

I was only stating my asthetic preferance. Was the ride smooth? You bet. The staff friendly? Yep. Free booze due to the delay? A
laugh.gif
big yes and thank you. But this was the first time I have flown with Delta in over ten years. The US government paid the ticket. So I really have no major room to complain. Heck, they got me home from a school that would scare most people. So I am very happy on that note.

That being said. Business Class on BA from Phx to London is truly the most comfortable and only way to fly
wink.gif
. But I would give my left (you know what) to fly the MD-80 and say thank you mam may I have another.........

[ QUOTE ]
You really need to step up to one of these and leave the cattle car behind
wink.gif

Falcon_900EX_Cabin-3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on. Or maybe something like Austin Powers groovy jumbo jet
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That and we sat in the plane for almost two hours while ground crew tried to trouble shoot a failed generator. That put alot of confidence in the passengers. Quite a few wanted to get off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I'd never fly an airline that had a mechanical problem again
crazy.gif
Probably should have just taken off with the thing broken if it'd upset the passengers less.

[ QUOTE ]

You're right, I'd never fly an airline that had a mechanical problem again
crazy.gif
Probably should have just taken off with the thing broken if it'd upset the passengers less.

[/ QUOTE ]

The typical airline passenger is pretty ignorant, and irrational. I'm not sure if this will eevr be fixed...lol.

Back