MD-80 cargo

brent p h

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...unches-md-80-cargo-conversion-product-338305/

MD80SFforcfnet.jpg

the containers need to be customised because the MD-80 fuselage is too narrow to accommodate the standard containers used in 737 freighters and larger aircraft.

OH!

Lift weight looks to be about the same as the 727, but I'd be curious to see how many people actually want one.

A little old indeed, I would think that given the high price of fuel and an already old aircraft that a someone looking for a cargo jet would look at something a bit more efficient

A little old indeed, I would think that given the high price of fuel and an already old aircraft that a someone looking for a cargo jet would look at something a bit more efficient
Well if it can replace 727s there are a bunch of carriers that still have them. 2 engines would be better on fuel than 3. In theory at least.

Allegiant has made a successful business by purchasing older MD-80's. The cost of acquisition is so much less that the increased cost of operation isn't a big deal. I wonder if the same kind of thing could be based around cargo MD-80's?

Why can't some of these older jets be retro'd with new engine technology, FADEC, simple aerodynamic improvements...

I know some things have been improved but I guess its just not what carriers want cargo or passenger.

Ok...I'll fess up. One of my absolute dreams is flying for USA Jet. I am not fooling in the least. I would love to get my medical, and then get a wet commercial/multi and start begging them for a job. I know this is shocking as they do not have any taildraggers, but here's the thing - one of my Grandpa's favorite airplanes ever - including the B-25, 24, 29, Connie's of all types, DC-3's, Martin 202 and 404's, Boeing 707/720 and all that - was the DC-9. He loved that airplane - just loved it. So, I have ALWAYS wanted to fly for USA Jet - get a chance to fly DC-9's with steam gauges - maybe do VOR approaches into Mexico or whatever they do. Seriously - if someone knows anyone with USA Jet please tell them my dream. This would kick ass for me. I'd change my political views and become one of the liberal nerd-fest if it would help.

Ok...I'll fess up. One of my absolute dreams is flying for USA Jet. I am not fooling in the least. I would love to get my medical, and then get a wet commercial/multi and start begging them for a job. I know this is shocking as they do not have any taildraggers, but here's the thing - one of my Grandpa's favorite airplanes ever - including the B-25, 24, 29, Connie's of all types, DC-3's, Martin 202 and 404's, Boeing 707/720 and all that - was the DC-9. He loved that airplane - just loved it. So, I have ALWAYS wanted to fly for USA Jet - get a chance to fly DC-9's with steam gauges - maybe do VOR approaches into Mexico or whatever they do. Seriously - if someone knows anyone with USA Jet please tell them my dream. This would kick ass for me. I'd change my political views and become one of the liberal nerd-fest if it would help.
Hmmmmm.

Allegiant has made a successful business by purchasing older MD-80's. The cost of acquisition is so much less that the increased cost of operation isn't a big deal. I wonder if the same kind of thing could be based around cargo MD-80's?

That's basically what is already going on. Both with the -9's and the 80's. When you can buy an old -9 for not much more than an old lear, with the DOC not substantially higher than a falcon 20, and much more revenue potential, well you can see how it makes sense financially.

Back