MD-11F Around the World in 66 Hours

Interesting stuff. No stewardesses!? MAKE THEIR OWN COFFEE!!!???

Although I suppose that might be a good thing at Lufthansa right about now...

This just gets better and better. Camera follows the limo taking the crew to the hotel as the horses are unloaded. Bahahaha.

Oh God, they set off the overspeed and the AUTOPILOT FAILED TO REACT! MAYDAY!@ Only flinty eyed nerves of steel can handle that sort of Terror In The Air!

This is fantastic. Although I accept that it's probably mostly down to the translation.

A 26 year old FO for Lufthansa Cargo... how... did he...

I lived in Deutchland for a while when I was a Young Pup. Airline Pilot is like a really well paid and respected Electrician over there. It's a Skilled Labor job. Which, IMHO, is why they tend to crash more than we do. In broad terms, they labor under the impression that driving and airplane is like operating a drill press...to wit, anyone can do it with the correct Training.

For my own part, I think it's more like, I dunno, being an exterminator or a chimney-sweep. Sure you can train for it, but being really good at it has to do more with Experience than Training. It's a blue-collar job, deep down, but that doesn't mean that it isn't Skilled. *shrug* For my part, I'll hang my hat on the fact that "per ASM" we crash a lot less than anyone else in the world, and that's in spite of our second-world payscales.

I lived in Deutchland for a while when I was a Young Pup. Airline Pilot is like a really well paid and respected Electrician over there. It's a Skilled Labor job. Which, IMHO, is why they tend to crash more than we do. In broad terms, they labor under the impression that driving and airplane is like operating a drill press...to wit, anyone can do it with the correct Training.

For my own part, I think it's more like, I dunno, being an exterminator or a chimney-sweep. Sure you can train for it, but being really good at it has to do more with Experience than Training. It's a blue-collar job, deep down, but that doesn't mean that it isn't Skilled. *shrug* For my part, I'll hang my hat on the fact that "per ASM" we crash a lot less than anyone else in the world, and that's in spite of our second-world payscales.
Boris, I've decided that I agree with 99% of the things you say.

That was a pretty interesting video. I thought it was pretty funny how the narrator was talking about the ground crew in CHI handling that luxury car "the American way" by the guy just casually pushing it around with his foot.

"The New Zealanders are terrified of bacteria and germs and want none of them in the country."

Haha I thoroughly enjoyed the narration.

Back