Master's Degree

viper548

Master\'s Degree

I'm thinking of doing the Master's (aeronautical science) degree through ERAU next year. It would be at Travis AFB, and most of it would be paid for by the Air Force. Anyone have any comments about the ERAU masters degree?

Re: Master\'s Degree

My Dad compled his masters in Aeronautical Science through ERAU's extended campus some years ago, before he retired. He loved the program. He said all the instructors really work with you regarding USAF work hours and TDY's and things of that sort. I think he graduated with a 3.9 or 4.0. Anyhow, he loved the education, and thats why he urged me to do my undergraduate work at ERAU. Good luck with your decision.

I'm thinking about doing it online because they dont offer the option I want at my base. I figure that If the Air Force will pay for most of it, it would be a really good deal.

I'm in the middle of this program and like it quite a bit. Some classes are harder than others, and some professors are more responsive than others. Like just about any Masters program, plan on writing lots-and I mean LOTS.
They recommend you start with just one class, and decide how much time after you've done one you can commit to further coursework. I find that two classes maxes me out between family, job, etc. I expect to finish this time next year, and will have taken about 20 months to do the whole thing, soup to nuts.
-D

Aviation operations. Just finished accident investigations, next term is cognition/memory and operations research (which is cool cause my undergrad is industrial engineering!)
-D

I was also thinking about taking online classes for masters in aeronautical science. The only thing I was worried about is how much time I have to do the work. With two classes how much time each week do spend doing the class work? reading, writing, etc. Do you find the classes to be personal rewarding and do you see them helping you in an aviation career? Thanks

Hmmm...how much time per week really depends on the class. I read quickly so one class that had lots of reading went quickly, another class was very video intensive and required close attention to each word preseented on video. The common theme through all of the classes so far has been that there is quite a bit of writing. Each class has at least one major paper, and so far all of them have had some minor papers too.
Two classes can take several hours per week to work through...I find that just keeping up with a little work each day keeps me up to speed. The thing that's difficult is the two or three days (usually a saturday for me) that I dedicate to writing and research. Depending on the topic it's either fascinating or not.
I think that I'm getting a greater appreciation for aviation in general, and yes this will help me in job. Not so much from an aviation point of view, but from a master's degree point of view.
The first course that most people take is MAS 602 (Air Transportation System). Basically a history course from the Wrights through deregulation. I look at aviation and airline news through (what I believe) is a clearer lens after 15 weeks of studying how we've come to where we are today.
-D

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking of doing the Master's (aeronautical science) degree through ERAU next year. It would be at Travis AFB, and most of it would be paid for by the Air Force. Anyone have any comments about the ERAU masters degree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about getting my masters degree to. But I kept asking myself, "why?" No airline requires it. Spend the time and money building hours.

Back