Martinaire down in MI

My buddy just gave up that route about a month or two ago to go to another company. Scary how little separation there can be between an accident and someone you know. Stay safe out there guys!

Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013: The following statement was issued by the Emmet County Sheriff's office:

The Emmet County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a fatal plane crash that occurred on Tuesday, January 15, 2013, in McKinley Township, according to Sheriff Pete Wallin.

At approximately 10:45 p.m. deputies from the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office were advised of a missing aircraft that had taken off from the Pellston Regional Airport. The Emmet County Sheriff’s Deputies and Emmet County Search and Rescue located the aircraft in a wooded area southwest of the airport near the intersection of Camp and Durkalic Roads.

The aircraft left Chippewa/Kinross Airport and landed in Pellston to refuel. The aircraft left Pellston and was to continue onto Lansing when it crashed. The aircraft was piloted by Jeffrey M. Salles, 26 yrs., Terrytown, LA. Salles was pronounced dead at the scene. Salles was the only occupant of the aircraft. The aircraft involved was a 1994 Cessna Model 208 B which was leased to Martinaire Aviation out of Addison , TX. The accident remains under investigation and the Emmet County Sheriff’s Office is awaiting the arrival of officials from NTSB.

Godspeed freight brother. I really hope answers come, it's hard not knowing what happened. I think I flew that plane once before but not sure, however I wish his friends and family the utmost comfort in this time.

Obviously too soon to speculate, but if this thing involves ice in any way, shape, or form, it's time to ground those things in icing conditions. I remember flying a 99 and picking up pretty much "normal" ice while a guy in a 208 5 miles away and 2000 ft. below me was on the verge of declaring an emergency. Again, it's way too early to get mad *controls breathing*, but if another dude died to get the poop there on time in an airplane that wasn't appropriate for the mission, I'm a-gonna get downright testy.

Back