Married

Windchill

For those who are married, how well as the training worked while married? Are there plenty of apartments complexes that are affordable, how tough has it been?

I am married and just starting my CFII at DCA. My wife lives in Vancouver, Washington, so we have been on opposite coasts for about a year now. It is really tough, but my wife is very supportive and she comes down every couple months, or I go home for course completion breaks etc.

It isn't easy and you better have a really strong marriage if you are going to live apart for 2-3 years.

If your wife is thinking of moving with you, make sure she is prepared for you to study a lot, so you may not have as much time to spend together as she/you would like. Your hours will be crazy as you'll often not know your schedule until the previous evening.

That being said, I am very happy with DCA and feel as though I could not have made a better choice.

Yep, tons of apartments, don't know how affordable they are as I bought a place instead of renting.

If you have more specific questions post 'em and I will do my best to answer.

I toured DCA (then Comair) with my wife (then fiance) and on the tour they take you to the complex where they have the student housing and let you talk to the manager. Unless things have changed since I toured, their student housing is in a regular appartment complex but have special accomodations for DCA students. Since you're married you'd have to simply rent an apartment from that complex as if you were a regualr person. Since we were in that situation we looked into it. I believe we were looking at a 2 bedroom for about $750. I'm not sure how that compares to other appartments in the area.

I encourage you to go down there and tour the school. Delta will non-rev you out there. We got bumped up to first class on the way back
smile.gif
They are extreemely thorough in their tour and all of your questions about the training and housing will be answered. It looks like a great school. Be carefull though, they promise you the world but some of their statements are misleading. Make sure you verify their claims. I decided on Sierra but DCA was a close 2nd choice.

Back