Marines PLC..

Stapp0770

Has anyone completed, or have any knowledge of the Platoon leader course in the marines. I know the basics of the program but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience, or has any input on it. thanks

Tommy

Depending on your college situation, you go to Officer Candidate School for what can be either 2 six week increments or (this one I forget) one 10 week increment I believe. You must be selected by a board that goes through your local Officer Selection Officer.

You put the package together which includes your test scores for the PFT (physical fitness test) and Aviation Aptitude Battery tests if your going into the aviation program. OCS is NOT easy. Unlike enlisted boot camp, they WILL send you home if you don't adjust.

They are evaluating your leadership traits. You will be first and foremost a leader of Marines and they want to be sure your capable of that. You will run, and run, and run, and..... oh yea, run. PT everyday, get verbally abused everyday, and have to show leadership even through all of that.

If you graduate OCS and obtain your commission, then it's 6 months of The Basic School (TBS) when you get your degree, and that is a whole different animal. Hope this helps. And by the way..... Run :D

Depending on your college situation, you go to Officer Candidate School for what can be either 2 six week increments or (this one I forget) one 10 week increment I believe. You must be selected by a board that goes through your local Officer Selection Officer.

You put the package together which includes your test scores for the PFT (physical fitness test) and Aviation Aptitude Battery tests if your going into the aviation program. OCS is NOT easy. Unlike enlisted boot camp, they WILL send you home if you don't adjust.

They are evaluating your leadership traits. You will be first and foremost a leader of Marines and they want to be sure your capable of that. You will run, and run, and run, and..... oh yea, run. PT everyday, get verbally abused everyday, and have to show leadership even through all of that.

If you graduate OCS and obtain your commission, then it's 6 months of The Basic School (TBS) when you get your degree, and that is a whole different animal. Hope this helps. And by the way..... Run :D

I've thought about this option, and it is very compelling. The chance to lead marines would be a hell of a challenge.

PLC Juniors is a cakewalk. I didn't attend seniors though... switched majors and got out of flying. still kind of regret it.

Has anyone completed, or have any knowledge of the Platoon leader course in the marines. I know the basics of the program but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience, or has any input on it. thanks

Tommy

Should you be given permission to join my beloved Corps. and if G-D himself gives you the fortitude to pass OCS then you will have the greatest honor bestowed upon you...the chance to lead United States Marines. Then if the forces come together you may be given the chance to fly a Marine aircraft but remember you are first and foremost an officer of Marines then an aviator. :)

In all seriousness though be prepared that even with a guaranteed aviation slot you may not get to fly. I did NOT! I was in the program when the entire Yugoslavian campaign was happening. I speak Russian. The Corps needed Russian speakers. Guess what I ended up doing? I went to ERAU had a commercial pilot certificate and went to intel school. Any regrets? NOT ONE! I knew going in that I may be tasked with something greater than myself. I spent six years leading Marines from grunts to intel bubbas and enjoyed every moment of it. During ERAU I was enlisted in the Reserve so I had a chance to experience life as an enlisted Marine as well.

I know many now will say I must of been brainwashed or something. I assure you I was not! I enjoyed my time, made the best of it, learned alot, got an MBA, kept flight instructing, and now I fly corporate jets all around the world. Anything you put your mind to can be accomplished. Just make sure if you join the Marines and go PLC that you are going for the right reasons and you understand that you are a Marine officer first then whatever your billet is.

Otherwise enjoy OCS...oh yeah be prepared to RUN EVERYWHERE! The only speed things happen is at double time. :) If you go in with a great attitude the friends you make there will be with you for a lifetime! Good luck and Semper Fidelis.

Back