Marine One Ospreys

SeanD

Obama is using them on Martha Vinyard. Looks kind of cool.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...oyed-for-first-time-in-support-of-marine-one/

130810175342-mv-22-osprey-story-top.jpg

Yeah, those are the green fleet support birds.....basically replacing the -46s, I'd think.

Nothing yet to replace the VH-3 or, when used, the VH-60s; that I know of. Obama cancelled the VH-71 program.

S-92, paint it green, a few fancy radios, and problem solved.

Would the Osprey even fit on the south lawn?

I heard a rumot back in May that Boeing is offering roll-aboard fuel tanks for MV-22s to do aerial refueling with F-35s. I guess the idea is to top-off tanks after everything takes-off vertically from an LHA or a "small austere airfield." They want to be ready to fight Guadalcanal all over again.

SeanD beat me to it...I just deleted my own thread on this.

We've been seeing Ospreys flying around the DC are for a couple of weeks now, and I gotta say, they're impressive as hell in person. Watched one come in over I-395 to land at the Pentagon while I was stuck in traffic the other day.

At night, they're eerie. We were down at the Navy Yard one night and watched one maneuvering over around Bolling AFB, and it was bizarre - if it's coming at you, you can hear it, but it's a very distinct note - doesn't sound like any other helo I've heard, and when it turned to the side we couldn't hear it at all. Very interesting, indeed.

The MV-22 Ospreys were in experimental stage undergoing flight testing at MCAS Cherry Hill NC before I got out of the Corps in Dec 98. They started flying probably in 96/97 and started carrying Grunts around at LeJeune. There was major controversy, mismanagement and cover ups of the flight testing program at the time. There were a couple fatal accidents that killed dozens of my fellow Marines. IIRC some very senior officers got court marshaled over it. It was iffy if they would make it into permanent service.

Now that the bugs are worked out, they are great birds. I wish I would have been able to take a ride on one. The biggest helo I flew on was the CH-53. It was bad ass, the MV22 even more. It truly make the "Over the horizon" part of the mission possible.

HMX-1 has used CH-46s for decades to support presidential and VIP movements as well as other operations around the DC area. They used to have CH-53s when I was part of that squadron, but those aircraft were needed in Afganistan.

HMX was the last squadron in the Marine Corps to get upgrades, so I assume that this means all the Phrogs have been retired.

The MV-22 has been tested into the south lawn, but the LZ is to small for routine use by the Osprey.

The VH-3s (and to a lesser degree the VH-60s) are absolutely worn out, and need to be replaced ASAP. However the VH-71 program was going to be hideously expensive to replace both fleets. The S-92 variant wasn't exactly cheap either. The cost overruns came from the DOD side, not the aircraft manufacturers.

Don't tell me my beloved CH-47 has been retired. I miss being scared to death to ride in them, especially over water as part of a MEU! :)

Don't tell me my beloved CH-47 has been retired. I miss being scared to death to ride in them, especially over water as part of a MEU! :)

The Army still uses the CH-47 Chinook, but the Corps has retired almost all of the CH-46 Sea Knights (AKA Phrogs).

The Army still uses the CH-47 Chinook, but the Corps has retired almost all of the CH-46 Sea Knights (AKA Phrogs).

I think there's still a reserve squadron or two left in California. They pass by every now and again over TUS.

Back