MAPD: Hiring after Mesa

MissedApproach

I will be starting MAPD/ASU in a few weeks and am concerned about the perception that Mesa pilots have in the industry. Hypothetically speaking, I complete the four year MAPD program and fly for Mesa for 4-5 years. At that point (assuming I meet mins) would I have a difficult time being hired by a major? If senior pilots have a say in who is hired it seems they might discriminate against MAPD grads. So, could being an MAPD grad be a liability?

...and, if it were up to you would you be reluctant to hire an MAPD grad?

Once you have flown the line for a few years nobody really cares (in personnel anyway) where you got your training. The years on the line prove that you know what you are doing.

I've jumpseated on almost every major airline in the US and I always run in to ex-Mesa pilots, both MAPD and not.

That's good to hear.

I was just concerned because so many pilots seem to think that MAPD pilots have "purchased" an FO seat and haven't "paid their dues." Or that low regional wages can be placed squarely on the shoulders of Mesa pilots (Freedom or not).

Nah only other airlines believe that stuff. Every regional airline has a similar program right now, in fact several are using MAPD.

The waves of aviation are changing and what was once taboo several years ago is now merely grumbled at.

[ QUOTE ]
Every regional airline has a similar program right now, in fact several are using MAPD.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm interested in hearing more on this comment in particular...

Well I don't think we will get an answer. I think Eagle chased JT off which is disapointing. I was really enjoying the ATA threads.

Eh, I didn't see anything particularly resembling "I'm outta here!" in any of his most recent posts, maybe he's working or something.

Seems like mesalounge.com is a better place to get answers on MAPD/PACE anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I think Eagle chased JT off which is disapointing. I was really enjoying the ATA threads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I thought I chased him off! (just kidding)

Back