Manic Depression Diagnosis

PGHkid

Here's the sticky situation I am in. I had bouts of depression during high school and college and because of this I needed to have a Current Status Form filled out to be medically cleared. I got my records from my former psychiatrist (who has since quit private practice) and took them to a general practitioner to complete the form. The original records did not include the ICD9 codes which are required for the form, so the general practitioner looked them up. Unfortunately, he wrote down the code 296.00, which I was told by FAA medical (after I sent the form) is the code for manic depression, which is a disqualifying condition.

Now, I was never told before that I had manic depression. I've never had times where I feel really excited, happy or overconfident. The psychiatrist wrote my diagnosis as "MDD, moderate" and prescribed Effexor. I sent these records to the FAA medical but they said they couldn't read them (they are very sloppy and some of them look like they were written with a felt tip pen).

So now I'm in the position where I'm afraid that I'll be disqualified for a condition I don't have. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding a piece of the puzzle, but it doesn't seem like my original records are diagnosing me with manic depression.

Is there anything I can do at this point? I've been trying to contact my former psychiatrist in an attempt to have him write down the codes himself, but he hasn't returned my calls. I've also thought about setting up an appointment with a new psychiatrist and having him / her go through my old records and fill out the form. As an FAA surgeon, what would you want to see at this point? Thank you for your help, and thank you for reading through all of this.

The diagnosis was major depressive disorder. Your best bet is to go to a new psychiatrist and get a full evaluation with report. Forward that to the FAA. PM me and let me know where you live. I will send you the name of a psychiatrist in your area who works with the FAA. There are only 24 of these guys in tyhe US.

I am a former Air Force pilot in the 1970's medically discharged in 1978 with a diagnosis of bipolar illness.
I would also like to have an evaluation with a new psychiatrist who works with the FAA. (like you mentioned)

I am just seeking to fly under the Sport Pilot Ruling for fun. Thank you...

By the way, a surrendered medical at FAA request is considered a denial for SP/LSA. (as previously posted)

I am a former Air Force pilot in the 1970's medically discharged in 1978 with a diagnosis of bipolar illness.
I would also like to have an evaluation with a new psychiatrist who works with the FAA. (like you mentioned)

I am just seeking to fly under the Sport Pilot Ruling for fun. Thank you...

By the way, a surrendered medical at FAA request is considered a denial for SP/LSA. (as previously posted)

Where are you in the US?

Back