Malaysia airlines emergency landing (hong kong)

jgheggie

Not flt 370....unfortunately!

Looks like Malaysia airlines is going to take a major PR hit after a second incident in as many weeks. This time...Airbus.

Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Hong Kong
FoxNews.com
Mar 24, 2014 1:15 AM EDT
(page 1 of 2)
A Malaysia Airlines plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Hong Kong Monday after a generator failed, a little more than two weeks after one of the carrier's other jets vanished from radar screens and lost contact with civilian air traffic controllers.

A statement on Malaysia Airlines' official Facebook page said that Flight MH066 was bound for Seoul, South Korea from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia when the main generator supplying normal electrical power to the aircraft failed. However, the airline said that the plane's auxiliary power unit was able to supply the aircraft.

Officials at Hong Kong's airport told the Associated Press firefighters were put on standby for the arrival of the Airbus A330-300, which landed without incident just before 3 a.m. on Monday.

The airline said the 271 passengers bound for Incheon International Airport near Seoul were put on flights with other carriers. The return flight from Seoul to Kuala Lumpur, MH067, was canceled.

http://world.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=26264&external=2591188.proteus.fma

Something tells me an A330 doesn't have a "main generator". In fact I'd put $100 on 2 gens and an apu.

Reactions: GX
Not flt 370....unfortunately!

Looks like Malaysia airlines is going to take a major PR hit after a second incident in as many weeks. This time...Airbus.

Malaysia Airlines flight makes emergency landing in Hong Kong
FoxNews.com
Mar 24, 2014 1:15 AM EDT
(page 1 of 2)
A Malaysia Airlines plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Hong Kong Monday after a generator failed, a little more than two weeks after one of the carrier's other jets vanished from radar screens and lost contact with civilian air traffic controllers.

A statement on Malaysia Airlines' official Facebook page said that Flight MH066 was bound for Seoul, South Korea from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia when the main generator supplying normal electrical power to the aircraft failed. However, the airline said that the plane's auxiliary power unit was able to supply the aircraft.

Officials at Hong Kong's airport told the Associated Press firefighters were put on standby for the arrival of the Airbus A330-300, which landed without incident just before 3 a.m. on Monday.

The airline said the 271 passengers bound for Incheon International Airport near Seoul were put on flights with other carriers. The return flight from Seoul to Kuala Lumpur, MH067, was canceled.

http://world.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html?page=26264&external=2591188.proteus.fma

Wait, scairbus 330s have one generator per engine, don't they? What's a main generator?

It happens. Go with one generator DMI'd and the APU running. The other one fails, and now you're down to a single-source. Gotta land.

Funny story about that one at NJC.

It happens. Go with one generator DMI'd and the APU running. The other one fails, and now you're down to a single-source. Gotta land.

Funny story about that one at NJC.

Not so funny story about our company: our fleet manager tried to hang a CA for diverting when he lost the APU gen with one engine gen already deferred. Fleet manager quote "the RAT is still available diverting was not a good decision."

Human power. Instead of the RAT, the FO gets on a mini exercise bike in the cockpit. Not a fun occurrence when it happens halfway through a pacific crossing.

Not so funny story about our company: our fleet manager tried to hang a CA for diverting when he lost the APU gen with one engine gen already deferred. Fleet manager quote "the RAT is still available diverting was not a good decision."
Wow what airplane? Both airlines I've been at require a divert if only one generator is operable. Could be either engine gen or APU. Either way QRH directive is to land ASAP. I have to imagine every airline/airplane is the same.

I'm really surprised that isn't in the QRH for single gen operation.

Wow what airplane? Both airlines I've been at require a divert if only one generator is operable. Could be either engine gen or APU. Either way QRH directive is to land ASAP. I have to imagine every airline/airplane is the same.

I'm really surprised that isn't in the QRH for single gen operation.

It is. But the fleet manager wanted to manage and second guess anyway.

Back