Major Change??

foxriderxr1

Hey guys,

So I just wanted to get a few opinions on whether or not a major change is a good idea...

My goal is to be a commercial pilot and a air force guard/reserve pilot (im already enlisted in the air guard) and I do have an interest in business but not enough to make a career out of it unless for some tragic reason I couldn't fly.

So, as of right now I'm a Commercial Aviation major at the University of North Dakota but I am thinking about switching to Aviation Management for a couple of reasons 1) It gives me a backup and some sort of background other than aviation because I will have essentially a business degree but at the same time go all the way through my multi-commercial. 2) It is cheaper for the simple fact that you wont have to go through CFI, CFII, & MEI which would be roughly 15K extra.

After I graduate I am hoping to get a commission/pilot slot in either the air force guard/reserves but that can sometimes take years because most people don’t get it on their first attempt so worst case scenario I don't get it and I have a aviation management degree with all my ratings and around 275TT. Would anyone hire me with that degree and time? Or would I have to then work on my CFI and become a flight instructor for a little while to build time?

Any help, tips, suggestions, or anything would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks again,

Lance
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Hey guys,

So I just wanted to get a few opinions on whether or not a major change is a good idea...

My goal is to be a commercial pilot and a air force guard/reserve pilot (im already enlisted in the air guard) and I do have an interest in business but not enough to make a career out of it unless for some tragic reason I couldn't fly.

So, as of right now I'm a Commercial Aviation major at the University of North Dakota but I am thinking about switching to Aviation Management for a couple of reasons 1) It gives me a backup and some sort of background other than aviation because I will have essentially a business degree but at the same time go all the way through my multi-commercial. 2) It is cheaper for the simple fact that you wont have to go through CFI, CFII, & MEI which would be roughly 15K extra.

After I graduate I am hoping to get a commission/pilot slot in either the air force guard/reserves but that can sometimes take years because most people don’t get it on their first attempt so worst case scenario I don't get it and I have a aviation management degree with all my ratings and around 275TT. Would anyone hire me with that degree and time? Or would I have to then work on my CFI and become a flight instructor for a little while to build time?

Any help, tips, suggestions, or anything would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks again,

Lance
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Hello. If you read my signature you'll know I switched majors. I did go to UND initially as a Comm Av major, I took the lower division classes that were involved with it. Avit 101, 103, 102, Meteorology, Avit 100 etc...I ended up taking different lower division classes for my Finance and Entrepreneurship major so I ended up obtaining an A.A. in "General Studies".

That's good your in the Air Guard from what I hear, correct me of I’m wrong, obtaining a slot is way competitive and that each state has little openings and receive thousands of applications.

As far as switching to Av management, do it. You will be a more well rounded individual. You do not need to spend 4 years on how to fly an airplane or get a paper that says "B.S. Commercial Aviation" to be a great and successful professional pilot. However, if it is what interests you and gives you the drive to learn, by all means go for Commercial Aviation, hands down.

I mean no matter what people say about your degree (and as long as Republicans are in charge :p) "Business(money) is what makes the world go round." At least you'll have an understanding when you fly for an airline about management and such. Maybe you can even start your own venture? The classes you'll be taking for that degree include Accounting and Economics. Those classes will help you personally. If you do not fly you can use that degree to obtain a career as an Airport Manager or something in operations. A Management degree will open you up to more opportunities, in Aviation and the Business field.

With the 275 TT it depends on the state of the industry. American Eagle was hiring with 350 TT. PSA and several others: All you need was a Commercial-Multi engine-Instrument.

I do not know why people always say "it's cheaper". Doesn't UND offer free MEI? Also if you were to get your CFI elsewhere, check how much it will cost you through other schools+ other expenses. Add it all up and tell me if it is still "cheaper". And most importantly consider UND is top notch and highly respectable in Flight Training.

Back