Major Airline DX Hopefuls

Im pretty sure his relief cares.

Out of all the types of people you mentioned, I dont think there is a single group that enjoy walking into a preventable dumpster fire. Just saying ;)
At least someone cares. You're right. That's an adorable thought. Also, why are you assuming it's a he?

Dispatch is basically either good normal people who want to make a good living for their family, angst and bitter-ridden pilots who lost their medical, weirdos who get boners for airplanes, control freaks who feel important being in charge, high (or sometimes low) functioning autistic people, and the loud pack of very opinionated "peter pan mode" 20 to 40 year olds whose brains got frozen at 12 years old.

The unspoken non-secret of getting hired at a major is being competent but being one of the few good normal people.
I don't know how long you ve been a dispatcher for but you are absolutely spot on about the different kinds of dispatchers there is. I ve seen the control freaks, the weirdos, loud pack and others.
I also totally agree with your last paragraph. I think hiring managers would usually look for those with the ability to work well with others rather than just competency-based.

That's just it....i really don't think anyone cares how good at your job you are. There is more to life than tafs and metars and MELs. And in my experience, the people who think they are the best at their jobs are actually usually the worst because they are so tightly wound and hold up operations for silly reasons. I would agree that being autistic is normal for dispatch though and like you I also sometimes wear sunglasses indoors.

I disagree with most of this. Most people (especially your relief) care whether youre good at your job. Nobody likes a garbage turnover that puts you in the red for 3 hours because the same guy working the same desk everyday doesnt know it storms in florida. The regional i was at, there was deep resentment of the am shift by the pm shift for that exact reason.

I also do not want to sit next to someone who regularly cant keep up and makes me have extra work when they deliberately send crap out as late as possible, with stupid routes/fuel loads so theyre constantly on the phone and falling further behind.

And the people who think theyre the best at their job who are always behind/iropping themselves... im thankful to say, those people from the regional that i knew all didnt make it. Im good at my job. Really good at it. And so are the vast majority of the people i work with. And i dont know a soul here who wants to work with someone who isnt.

That's just it....i really don't think anyone cares how good at your job you are. There is more to life than tafs and metars and MELs. And in my experience, the people who think they are the best at their jobs are actually usually the worst because they are so tightly wound and hold up operations for silly reasons. I would agree that being autistic is normal for dispatch though and like you I also sometimes wear sunglasses indoors.
I never claimed to be the best. I'm far from it. But I don't hesitate to say I know my job and I'm good at it. I'm also not difficult to work with. I get along with my coworkers. I'm just quiet and probably hard to read, so some don't know how to take me. And that's fine. I'm there to do a job, and earn money to support my family.

I disagree with most of this. Most people (especially your relief) care whether youre good at your job. Nobody likes a garbage turnover that puts you in the red for 3 hours because the same guy working the same desk everyday doesnt know it storms in florida. The regional i was at, there was deep resentment of the am shift by the pm shift for that exact reason.

I also do not want to sit next to someone who regularly cant keep up and makes me have extra work when they deliberately send crap out as late as possible, with stupid routes/fuel loads so theyre constantly on the phone and falling further behind.

And the people who think theyre the best at their job who are always behind/iropping themselves... im thankful to say, those people from the regional that i knew all didnt make it. Im good at my job. Really good at it. And so are the vast majority of the people i work with. And i dont know a soul here who wants to work with someone who isn't
Sorry, I forget sometimes that I have the ability to read and write like generations lost. Let me make it easy to understand since I said all of this previously but it just keeps going over everyones' heads:

Smart + Easy to work with = Good.

Smart + Bad to work with = Meh

Dumb + Easy to work with = Meh

Dumb + Bad to work with = Bad

I can also do pictures. Let me know.

I don't know how long you ve been a dispatcher for but you are absolutely spot on about the different kinds of dispatchers there is. I ve seen the control freaks, the weirdos, loud pack and others.
I also totally agree with your last paragraph. I think hiring managers would usually look for those with the ability to work well with others rather than just competency-based.
Congrats, you are a normal person. Just so everyone else knows. If this were the interview, this person would be the one I'd hire. Unless it"s United.....their process is....proprietary....

Sorry, I forget sometimes that I have the ability to read and write like generations lost. Let me make it easy to understand since I said all of this previously but it just keeps going over everyones' heads:

Smart + Easy to work with = Good.

Smart + Bad to work with = Meh

Dumb + Easy to work with = Meh

Dumb + Bad to work with = Bad

I can also do pictures. Let me know.
Ok you’re definitely the Peter Pan type.

Dispatch is basically either good normal people who want to make a good living for their family, angst and bitter-ridden pilots who lost their medical, weirdos who get boners for airplanes, control freaks who feel important being in charge, high (or sometimes low) functioning autistic people, and the loud pack of very opinionated "peter pan mode" 20 to 40 year olds whose brains got frozen at 12 years old.

The unspoken non-secret of getting hired at a major is being competent but being one of the few good normal people.
This is funny, because coming from a dude going through dispatcher school right now, something Ive noticed is that when advice is given from people who are successful in the field, they almost always have some variation of:

“Just be nice/easygoing/pleasant to be around”
“Don’t have an ego or be a know it all”
“Be easy to socialize with/know when to speak up”

Seeing this kind of stuff made me wonder if there is some set of formalities that I was not privy to and would need to understand before getting a job. Then I get in my dispatch class and good grief is it full of “Peter Pan Mode”, Control freak/know it all, etc.

Then the pieces finally came together and those aforementioned pieces of advice finally made sense… don’t be annoying and weird.

Last edited:
Don't be annoying and weird? That covers about 75% of who I am. :biggrin: As for the other 25%, well........... I'll just leave it blank.

I can deal with dinks, donkeys and any other personality type. I only ask that if you are one of those, stay one of those. I want consistency. I hate trying to figure out who/what I have to deal with in a person.

I love working with quirky people. Gives flavor to the office lol. Workplace inappropriate conduct and jokes, constant interruptions, and “i’m always right”/ego are my personal definition of weird and annoying and is what I’ve noticed in my class. The oddballs who are nice to be around are great!

Sure this job has it's variations in the "types" of people that it attracts... but that's not aviation or dispatch unique by any means. For those of us where Dispatch was a career/industry change, it's nothing new. Especially if you came from a job that has a tendency to attract Type A personalities.

It really all just comes down to being an easy person to work with and being able to handle your sh-t. I prefer to work my shift with minimal breaks and staying ahead of the loads so if/when it hits the fan, I'm not stumbling to catch up. But when a coworker comes up to chat or sparks a conversation while I'm filling up my water bottle, I'll still take a second to indulge. It's like what someone else said, just be someone I don't mind sitting next to for the next 30 years. Also know your job, know when you're wrong, and know how to be a decent human. The rest is Lagniappe.

Im pretty sure his relief cares.

Out of all the types of people you mentioned, I dont think there is a single group that enjoy walking into a preventable dumpster fire. Just saying ;)
I really don't enjoy walking into any dumpster fire, but especially a preventable one!! Hahaha

This is funny, because coming from a dude going through dispatcher school right now, something Ive noticed is that when advice is given from people who are successful in the field, they almost always have some variation of:

“Just be nice/easygoing/pleasant to be around”
“Don’t have an ego or be a know it all”
“Be easy to socialize with/know when to speak up”

Seeing this kind of stuff made me wonder if there is some set of formalities that I was not privy to and would need to understand before getting a job. Then I get in my dispatch class and good grief is it full of “Peter Pan Mode”, Control freak/know it all, etc.

Then the pieces finally came together and those aforementioned pieces of advice finally made sense… don’t be annoying and weird.
People give that advice because we all know someone like that and how frustrating they can be to work with. Every workplace has That Guy™. Some are lucky enough to only have the one.

People give that advice because we all know someone like that and how frustrating they can be to work with. Every workplace has That Guy™. Some are lucky enough to only have the one.
Honestly it would just be nice to work in a place where you don't walk into a room listening to people talk about their coworkers and then wonder what they say about you behind your back.
It would also kind of just be nice to walk into work and not hear people say things like, "If the civil war was fought today, I'd probably fight for the south."
or
"So you're from afghanistan? Did you leave because of the taliban? I hear it's bad there."
I'd give anything to work with normal people who don't gossip like school children or have these weird and outlandish personalities that we're all just supposed to pretend is "ok." It's like the island of misfit toys most days.

Honestly it would just be nice to work in a place where you don't walk into a room listening to people talk about their coworkers and then wonder what they say about you behind your back.
It would also kind of just be nice to walk into work and not hear people say things like, "If the civil war was fought today, I'd probably fight for the south."
or
"So you're from afghanistan? Did you leave because of the taliban? I hear it's bad there."
I'd give anything to work with normal people who don't gossip like school children or have these weird and outlandish personalities that we're all just supposed to pretend is "ok." It's like the island of misfit toys most days.
So much of this lol. Just tell me how your weekend was, crack a joke here and there and leave it at that.

Dispatch should have a lot more movement and be far easier to get hired. There is a huge amount of talent and experience in major airline dispatch groups that gets wasted because airlines on the whole treat their management and non union employees like total dog poo. Just about every major airline wants labor peace so union groups get a far better deal than managers and non union positions. The result is that management and non union jobs attract those that either love managing, love job titles, love that area of work or failed in management at other airlines or in other industries. Sometimes you get good workers in those ranks but a lot of times you dont. Dispatchers moving into those ranks would help airlines be managed better but the overall job package in dispatch with the union contract is much better. So dispatch seniority lists have huge amount of 30 and 40 year employees that stagnate the lists.

If you are a major dispatch hopeful then more upward movement would be the biggest help in getting hired. The only way the vast majority of dispatchers leave is when they retire, die, or both. Very few get fired, quit or move into other jobs in the company.

Dispatch should have a lot more movement and be far easier to get hired. There is a huge amount of talent and experience in major airline dispatch groups that gets wasted because airlines on the whole treat their management and non union employees like total dog poo. Just about every major airline wants labor peace so union groups get a far better deal than managers and non union positions. The result is that management and non union jobs attract those that either love managing, love job titles, love that area of work or failed in management at other airlines or in other industries. Sometimes you get good workers in those ranks but a lot of times you dont. Dispatchers moving into those ranks would help airlines be managed better but the overall job package in dispatch with the union contract is much better. So dispatch seniority lists have huge amount of 30 and 40 year employees that stagnate the lists.

If you are a major dispatch hopeful then more upward movement would be the biggest help in getting hired. The only way the vast majority of dispatchers leave is when they retire, die, or both. Very few get fired, quit or move into other jobs in the company.
All- flagship has blessed his knowledge upon us. This forum is now considered closed. All other opinions are irrelevant. God speed.

Back