Maintain (altitude) until established

The clearence you are getting is the Minimum vectoring altitude from the controller. "Maintiain 3,000 until established on the localizer cleared ILS 30L".
So after you get positive indication on your localizer, you can descend to whatever it says on your plate.
I've always flown by the school of thought that you go as low as you can legally at that particular time. Whats the point of staying at 3,000 when you can goto 2,400 or the such?

It should never be intercepted from above. That can result in a false glideslope (although I've tried many times on visual approaches, and have never been able to get one).

I agree--the altitude you intercept it at is [almost] irrelevant, and that it's intercepting from above that can get you. We got a false glideslope on a visual at Bakersfield on Friday--it was pretty impressive how accurate it looked for a little while (disclaimer: we were visual and way far out).

This only works if:

1.) You're cleared for the approach,
2.) There aren't any maximum or mandatory altitudes on any of the stepdowns, and
3.) You are intercepting the GS from below

I agree with this as well--I always try to get on the glideslope as far out as is logical to get things stabilized, but there's approaches out there with multiple stepdowns where following the glideslope can put you below minimum altitudes at stepdowns. Some of the ILS's into LAX can do this to you.

Whats the point of staying at 3,000 when you can goto 2,400 or the such?

This is just a technique thing - we've seen a number of descriptions of the point of staying at 3,000 until intercept - smoother, not so much descent and level off etc.

What's the point of descending to 2,400 when you can?

Seriously - you might change my flying technique.

Well first of all your intercepting the GS at the specified altitude as depicted on the plate and not making up your own plate. Secondly remember what the goal of an instrument approach is.. get under the weather so you can see the airport. If your comfortable doing it the other way I'm sure it'll all be good but this is just the way I've been trained and how I interpret the correct way of shooting an instrument approach. I just don't wanna hear the arguement that being higher is being safer.

But I guess it depends. As for the word "established", I wasnt sure if that meant on the GS or just on an approach segment.

The altitude assigned is one that keeps you safe until established on a published segment of an approach. After that, published altitudes apply. See 91.175. A published segment is a bold, black line.

The localizer itself is not a published segment, because it exends much farther out than what has been surveyed by the approach designers. Only the part that overlies a bold, black line is a published segment. Many times controllers will vector you to intercept the localizer beyond the fix where the intermediate course begins; when you intercept the localizer, you are not yet on a published segment, and you must wait until you reach a fix that marks the beginning of the segment. ATC is not supposed to use the phraseology "until established" in this scenario, unless the vector will actually put you on a published segment. But they do. :) Instead, they're supposed to give you a crossing restriction, "maintain 3,000 until crossing X, cleared ILS Rwy YY." At your option, you can remain at the assigned altitude or descend to a published altitude, absent any maximum or mandatory altitudes on the approach. These are rare.

I teach descending to the published altitudes, mainly to get the student in the habit of paying attention to such things. On a non-precision approach, it could make a difference between getting in or not. Real world, however, many pilots will remain at the assigned altitude and just intercept the GS at the higher altitude. Where the cloud layers are could affect this decision, as would the presence of icing.

Be aware, though, the GS is not primary for altitude guidance until the FAF, so if there are any step down fixes prior to that point, you're still bound by them, regardless of where the GS is taking you. This is a factor for some approaches out west, from what I understand.

Be aware, though, the GS is not primary for altitude guidance until the FAF, so if there are any step down fixes prior to that point, you're still bound by them, regardless of where the GS is taking you. This is a factor for some approaches out west, from what I understand.

This is very true! The Civet Arrival into KLAX is a classic example. The ILS G/S to RWY 10 in KATL will lead you below published altitudes beyond 10-12nm. The deal, typically, is that the published altitudes will keep a turbojet above the Class B floor or some type of VFR corridor. If you dip below the published altitudes and fly below the Class B airspace you'll get int trouble. It's happened, apparently to some crews at my company (we get quarterly reports of these things).

Everyone knows you can descend to published altitudes when cleared for the approach and established on course.

Do you know when you are legally established on the final approach course?

5 degrees for a NDB, 5 degrees for a VOR, and 1/2 scale deflection for an ILS Localizer course.

It's not when the "needle comes alive" as most people are taught. (Including me...that's how I was taught and how I instructed at one time.)

Now, you'll ask for a reference...it's in my company manual...but is constantly harped upon, evidently, by our FAA guys. I'll have to dig for an FAA reference.

This is just a technique thing - we've seen a number of descriptions of the point of staying at 3,000 until intercept - smoother, not so much descent and level off etc.

What's the point of descending to 2,400 when you can?

Seriously - you might change my flying technique.

Well for me, when you're coming in to high density airports in a chieftan you need to stay as fast as possible to mix with jet traffic, but also cool the engine down by pulling the power at 1" per min. So, if you drop down to 2,400 when you can, you get 600' more downhill to keep your speed up at a low powersetting.

When I was CFIing I'd just intercept at the 3,000.

5 degrees for a NDB, 5 degrees for a VOR, and 1/2 scale deflection for an ILS Localizer course...I'll have to dig for an FAA reference.>>

You won't find one, unless something has changed in the last few years. The FAA has never defined "established" in any meaningful way. The 1/2 scale deflection is ICAO, I believe. Wouldn't surprise me to see the FAA adopt that definition some day.

The needle "coming alive" is fine for a localizer....you won't be hitting anything with an active needle. However, on a VOR approach with the maximum allowed FAC length, 30 nm, a 1/2 needle deflection would put you outside the protected area (according to some calculations I've seen).

The most conservative point of view for a VOR or NDB is you're established when the needle is centered.

Well for me, when you're coming in to high density airports in a chieftan you need to stay as fast as possible to mix with jet traffic, but also cool the engine down by pulling the power at 1" per min. So, if you drop down to 2,400 when you can, you get 600' more downhill to keep your speed up at a low powersetting.

When I was CFIing I'd just intercept at the 3,000.

But - and I'm just playing devils advocate here. Would ATC rather have you moving at a consistent "high" speed or speeding up and slowing down as you dive and level off? *I* would expect that they'd rather have you wait at 3,000 slow and then hit he GS and establish a "high" speed as a consistent speed until you have to slow down close in.

But I have never been an air traffic controller - that's just a guess.

And - I have flown Caravan's in high density air space, so I'm VERY familiar the concept of aerial road block and being one.

The altitude assigned is one that keeps you safe until established on a published segment of an approach. After that, published altitudes apply. See 91.175. A published segment is a bold, black line.

The localizer itself is not a published segment, because it exends much farther out than what has been surveyed by the approach designers. Only the part that overlies a bold, black line is a published segment. Many times controllers will vector you to intercept the localizer beyond the fix where the intermediate course begins; when you intercept the localizer, you are not yet on a published segment, and you must wait until you reach a fix that marks the beginning of the segment. ATC is not supposed to use the phraseology "until established" in this scenario, unless the vector will actually put you on a published segment. But they do. :) Instead, they're supposed to give you a crossing restriction, "maintain 3,000 until crossing X, cleared ILS Rwy YY." At your option, you can remain at the assigned altitude or descend to a published altitude, absent any maximum or mandatory altitudes on the approach. These are rare.

I teach descending to the published altitudes, mainly to get the student in the habit of paying attention to such things. On a non-precision approach, it could make a difference between getting in or not. Real world, however, many pilots will remain at the assigned altitude and just intercept the GS at the higher altitude. Where the cloud layers are could affect this decision, as would the presence of icing.

This post is long for this thread, but it is absolutely spot on. Re-read it carefully.

You make Memphis proud, tgrayson! Where do you fly out of?

You won't find one, unless something has changed in the last few years. The FAA has never defined "established" in any meaningful way. The 1/2 scale deflection is ICAO, I believe. Wouldn't surprise me to see the FAA adopt that definition some day.

The needle "coming alive" is fine for a localizer....you won't be hitting anything with an active needle. However, on a VOR approach with the maximum allowed FAC length, 30 nm, a 1/2 needle deflection would put you outside the protected area (according to some calculations I've seen).

The most conservative point of view for a VOR or NDB is you're established when the needle is centered.

It's actually in my company's training manual. I remember a few years ago this being a big deal. We always used needle "case" break to define "established on the inbound course". Evidently someone in the FAA decided this wasn't safe and the rules were changed. Now...it's a big deal. If you descent prior to the "5,5 half alive" rule...you'll bust the checkride.

I searched the 8700.10 and 8400.10 and found nothing. Like you said...maybe it's an ICAO thing carried over from international. I'm going to put it on my list of questions for next time in recurrent training.

At your option, you can remain at the assigned altitude or descend to a published altitude, absent any maximum or mandatory altitudes on the approach. These are rare.

Good point. One that I can think of right off the bat is crossing the Canarsie VOR on the VOR 13L/R approach into KJFK.

You make Memphis proud, tgrayson! Where do you fly out of?

Thanks, TonyC! Dewitt Spain, right now. Formerly OLV, but our flight school went out of business. I'm hoping to get back to OLV. Closer for me and I enjoy the tower.

AC120-91 Airport Obstacle Analysis suggests course guidance for LOC/VOR/NDB/ARC navigation. The limits povided are basically the 5/5/1/2 degree parameters. They are basically provided for Part 121/135 operators and are not mandatory and are used in the contexts of departure navigation tracks. The AC does make comment that if the air carrier adopts them...they become mandatory.

I'm betting...that those parameters are spelled out in some FAA internal document and have been applied as binding to my company's approach procedures...or stated in the full ops specs (I only get the Reader's Digest condensed version of the legal ops specs...written in plain language as procedures).

If you descent prior to the "5,5 half alive" rule...you'll bust the checkride.

Interesting that the FAA will apply this to one carrier and not another. A friend working for a commuter says they use the alive needle benchmark.

The 1/2 needle thing has been around for a while. I remember an instructor of mine years ago passing that on to me, claiming that he heard it from an examiner who got it from the ATC Handbook. I researched it then and discovered that there was no documented basis for his belief, at least as far as the FAA was concerned. In fact, the idea that this factoid would be in the ATC Handbook struck me later as being silly; it had no business being there (and isn't), and wouldn't have been binding on the pilot even if it had been.

Wally Roberts (a noted IAP expert) wrote an article "When Are You Established?" that's interesting. His definition of "established": when you past the fix the marks the beginning of the segment and you are tracking the course to the minimum standards for instrument pilots (via the PTS).

AC120-91 Airport Obstacle Analysis suggests course guidance for LOC/VOR/NDB/ARC navigation. The limits povided are basically the 5/5/1/2 degree parameters.

Just skimming through the AC, it's intended for departures, as you said, rather than arrivals, to make sure you can maintain the Part 121 and 135 obstacle clearance requirements. The course widths appear to be given to tell the carrier how wide of a course they must consider for obstacle clearance.

Without reading the whole thing, it looks like they're just making some assumptions about the likely worst-case scenario of needle deflection, rather than making a recommendation. (Although the prudent operator would fly within those assumptions!)

But - and I'm just playing devils advocate here. Would ATC rather have you moving at a consistent "high" speed or speeding up and slowing down as you dive and level off? *I* would expect that they'd rather have you wait at 3,000 slow and then hit he GS and establish a "high" speed as a consistent speed until you have to slow down close in.

But I have never been an air traffic controller - that's just a guess.

And - I have flown Caravan's in high density air space, so I'm VERY familiar the concept of aerial road block and being one.

I can't fly the actual approach any faster than I already do considering gear and flap speeds and company profile, so I have to be faster before that. I try to keep a constant descent going down (also, depending on how long you level off the speed doesn't change that much), but if that doesn't work I want to be faster, so I'm going to be ;).

When I used to fly the Baron I would use that level off to bleed off just enough speed to be in a position to get flaps in. If you time it right you'll be faster.
It's so much easier now flying the Caravan. With VNE and flaps 10 at the same speed of 170, approaches can be flown faster then most jet aircraft. Plus not having to worry bout an inch per minute and trying to stay fast. I hated that in the beginning but got easier with time.

"I'll have to dig for an FAA reference"

The IFR PTS allows for no more than a full scale deflection on a LOC or ILS. That's why I teach "case break" is legal, on a Localizer, to descend. I've never heard half scale before.

Back