made a decision....

So, just to stir the pot some more, I got my first 1.0 in the tailwheel world today. I had been trying to get it all week, but the winds really weren't cooperating (at one point they were 27G36). So today, it was fairly calm (under 10 knots) so up I went in an L-16A (a militarized Aeronca Champ).

What a blast that was. Started out with just some basic taxing. Wide figure 8's over a closed runway marking (the big x), and then some 90 degree turns on the X itself. Took a little bit to figure out the heel brakes, but after that, it was easy. For once, flying a Diamond paid off, because it gives you a basic understanding of steering with the brakes.

Then, off to fly. Steep turns and some gentle climbing/descending turns. It is probably the most stable airplane I've ever flown, once you figure out how to fly it. Back to the airport and we did two landings, a wheel landing and a three point, just kind of showing me how they work. Needless to say, its really cool to fly a tailwheel, but throw in the actual military history of the airframe, and the sweet military paint on it, I'm hooked. Its awesome. So, I"ll tease with a small picture of the plane.

85450_1217355202_tb.jpg

Here's the ultimate goal/dream - I want to own a little Citabria or something like that, and take about a month or so to fly around the country and explore. Fly along both coasts. Find small airports. Maybe take some people on their first airplane rides. Visit JC people. Land on a beach somewhere and sit there with my plane and guitar and watch the sun rise or set.

That's an insurance issue. Be very careful about that. I've heard stories about turf and beach landings that left the pilot holding the financial bag with insurance underwriters just walking away.

The lawyers have, once again, sucked a good deal of fun out of everything.

What a blast that was. Started out with just some basic taxing. Wide figure 8's over a closed runway marking (the big x), and then some 90 degree turns on the X itself. Took a little bit to figure out the heel brakes, but after that, it was easy. For once, flying a Diamond paid off, because it gives you a basic understanding of steering with the brakes.

Odd, aren't they? :D:D

I recently got my tailwheel and have 38 hours total. Split between two Champs, a Citabria and a Kitfox all on a grass strip. Tons of fun. After flying a Cherokee for a while the tailwheel reminded me that I had feet!

I just got mine in Oct. with this guy http://www.gkairshows.com/default.htm

Greg is a really nice guy. The best part is you fly right out of a grass strip that is about 2500ft. I did my training in the Decathlon and I had a blast. I was so pumped that I went ahead and did some spin training. The lodging is great also!

That's an insurance issue. Be very careful about that. I've heard stories about turf and beach landings that left the pilot holding the financial bag with insurance underwriters just walking away.

The lawyers have, once again, sucked a good deal of fun out of everything.

Good point, especially for rental planes. If he owns his own plane by then, he can take his chances though.

A lot of the pilots I know who do things like landing on beaches don't really care about insurance. They either self insure or are confident enough in their own abilities that they're willing to take their chances during off-airport landings.

Back