Mach 1.02 in a Citation X??

Anyways, m1.02 is still mostly transonic.. I've seen a vid of an mfd pushing m1.00+ though I hear they can do it.

They broke the Mach1 more than once during descents in that plane, mostly on accident. Apparently they kept doing it during testing.

It's not that the plane can't push mach1 straight and level its more of a design limit. Ive heard from an XO guy that they had the power.

And, I would hedge my bets that the only reason it isn't certified up into those speeds, is the sheer costs of the flight and aerodynamic testing required. I doubt they would make a transonic airplane without testing the thing a bit beyond.

Also, the Feds:
§ 91.817 Civil aircraft sonic boom.

(a) No person may operate a civil aircraft in the United States at a true flight Mach number greater than 1 except in compliance with conditions and limitations in an authorization to exceed Mach 1 issued to the operator under appendix B of this part.

(b) In addition, no person may operate a civil aircraft for which the maximum operating limit speed MMO exceeds a Mach number of 1, to or from an airport in the United States, unless—

(1) Information available to the flight crew includes flight limitations that ensure that flights entering or leaving the United States will not cause a sonic boom to reach the surface within the United States; and

(2) The operator complies with the flight limitations prescribed in paragraph (b)(1) of this section or complies with conditions and limitations in an authorization to exceed Mach 1 issued under appendix B of this part.

They broke the Mach1 more than once during descents in that plane, mostly on accident. Apparently they kept doing it during testing.
Yes, it was more than once, but it was not in a descent. The engines are very much derated. Look for an update to the max cruise speed at NBAA.

Gee I'd sure hate for my elevator to stop being effective!
Not an issue. Hydraulic elevators and trimable stab. We can even fly up to .82 with mach trim inop.

I have heard the same thing that it broke the sound barrier in testing several times. The plane can do it the feds just won't let them in the US. I am not sure if it would have the range to be super sonic across the atlantic though an they probably didn't do all the testing required.

Doen't the X have the same engines as the ERJ 145?

BTW flight aware and other sites only show the groundspeed. It is very possible to have a super sonic ground speed but be well below 1.0M in the aircraft.

Back