Lufthansa sues passenger for skipping last leg of flight, wants more than $2G

About 15 years ago, when I was traveling every week, it was my cost-conscious company that taught me about buying back-to-backs, open jaw (never did one of those) and hidden city fares. Hidden city usually only worked on the return, because if you didn't fly it as bought they'd cancel the rest of the itinerary.

What if I don’t want to look tacticool?

I did this before it was even a thing, LAW-DFW-PHL, PHL-DFW back because I was meeting a friend to see a concert in Dallas. I relinquished the seat from DFW-LAW when I was checking in and they even checked my bag to DFW. Oh the times they have a changed. That DFW-LAW on a Saab was frequently over booked or over weight, so I am sure they were not upset. I think that was AAL but it could have been DAL. It was 2002 though.

Sorry, but I've done this too. I bought the product, it's up to me to use it fully or partially. If I get off and don't take the next flight, then cancel that portion and give it to someone else (airlines already do both these things).

DTW-EWR was over $300 one way. DTW-EWR-AVP was $75 one way. Guess who's gonna buy the latter and ditch in EWR? The only risk that day is if the airline might re-route you to get to that final city in which case you're screwed. For AVP, at the time the only flight on this airline was from EWR so I knew EWR would be safe. From a pax perspective, buy the ticket one way and don't check in a bag.

A lawsuit is ridiculous. How does the airline know that I wasn't really sick once I was in EWR, and decided I shouldn't fly the next leg? Maybe I thought I'd call it a day and just drive to AVP? That's my business. Lets be honest, the skiplagged guy was genius and the airlines are POed at him.

Back