Low-Time, longer instructing

Windchill

I noticed with Ari-Ben that a graduate has fewer hours than other programs (I am aware of the multi- benies), but this likely means one will be an instructor longer than at other programs to get the hours.

How long does it take (range) for one to get the hours to meet mins for ATP? How is the pay--sufficient for a married man to live off of while renting an apartment?

My understanding is that the pay is really low while you instruct. ( I am not a student there but am interested)

I am also married. Our plan is for her to work full time, I am going to try and wait tables or tend bar parttime. We have a hook up on housing so we probably have an advantage over a lot of other people.

This is also my concern. I am married and I plan on having her work full time (with a child on the way).. I was wondering if this is possible and how you all at ARI-BEN do it.

Thanks

From reading this forum, I think I read that they pay $10/hr to their instructors, and it isn't anywhere close to being "full-time" so you would definitely need another source of income.

its done like so. get a 3 bedroom apartment with 4 instructors, eat ramen noodles 4 times a day. drive a really crappy car that cost almost nothing to insure. Forget about making a car payment unless you are independently wealthy. It may sound bad but i've never been happier. its sunny all year round. i fly everyday. most people at the aviator are fun to hang around with. beats the hell out of nyc.....

Forget about making a car payment unless you are independently wealthy. its sunny all year round. i fly everyday. most people at the aviator are fun to hang around with. beats the hell out of nyc.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn car payments. I guess I'm independently wealthy!
crazy.gif

cool.gif
Sunny all year round, fly everyday, ah, the good life!

Looking forward to it. Oh, and I was born and raised in Jackson Heights.

Blue skies...

queboat did you live in nyc before?? .... i'm from nyc,,, is getting really cold up in here...so are you instructing in ari-ben...

Brooklyn born and raised. Got my private at republic airport. Damn Long Island Expressway. Too much traffic. Yes, I am instructing at the Aviator. Weather down south is awesome right now. Low 80's and sunny.

Go Brooklyn! Were from the same area, pretty much. I miss those years in Jackson Heights, I have a lot of fond memories. The whole rest of my family is still back there. From Baldwin to East Quogue. Mostly all over the east end.

The historic, famous Republic airport, cool. And yes the traffic on LIE coming out of Queens at rush hour is bad. Here in Portland the traffic is 1/10 that for only about an hour and then clears up. You should hear the people here whine about the "traffic"! "You wanna see traffic?, I got your traffic right here mac!" Brooklyn, Queens style.

I'm so sick of the wx here. It's either raining or overcat 9 month's out of the year almost. I'm looking forward to the sunshine, in spite of the heat. That is exactly why I chose Fla. for the rest of my training.

AOPA's airport guide lists the Aviators location as SE on the field. Somewhere else I read it is at the threshold end of 32. I looked at the field on MS2004 and found a few ramps down there and a few larger buildings and one small one at the end. Would the smaller one at the end be more likely to represent the Aviators location? And which runway does the wind/tower usually favor for t/o and land? What other airports are usually used for training flights?

Well I'm counting the days to Nov. for my visit, and am looking forward to meeting you all.

cool.gif
Blue Skies...

No, I got my PPL here in Oregon where I'm living now. Actually I got it at Pearson Airfield in Vancouver Wash., across the Columbia River. So FAD, where do you live and fly in NY? There is a airport in Westhampton which used to be Suffolk Co. Air Force Base. Can you find out what the name of it is now? Is it Genese or Genesco or something like that? We had our summer house across Route 113 from it. That was many years ago.

I grew up in Jackson Hgts on Junction Blvd and Northern Blvd, one mile from LGA.

SkyKing there is an airport in Westhampton called Gabreski/Westhampton, the id is KFOK.

FlyAllDay I did my private with Nassua flyers on the north east side of the field.

Thanks Que, I think that's it. I've got a lot of childhood memories from there, I'll tell you about them when we meet in Nov. at my visit.

So where is the location of Aviator on FPR? See my questions above thread for more info.

[ QUOTE ]
AOPA's airport guide lists the Aviators location as SE on the field. Somewhere else I read it is at the threshold end of 32. I looked at the field on MS2004 and found a few ramps down there and a few larger buildings and one small one at the end. Would the smaller one at the end be more likely to represent the Aviators location? And which runway does the wind/tower usually favor for t/o and land? What other airports are usually used for training flights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Approach end of 32(SE is correct), off to the left side. Take taxiway C to C1, then to the ramp.

Have not looked at MS 2004, sounds about right.

Rwy 9 is most commonly used, with 14 being the next popular. Often used simultaneously.

Most common Airports: VRB, MLB, PBI, TIX, OBE(No IAP's)

Thanks Luftpost, I appreciate that. I want to get familiar with the routes using the sec and low alt charts I bought, before I come down to train for the Pro course. Using MS2004 and the the charts & Seminole(closest I can get to the BE-76) I'll fly to the area apts to get a "feel" for direction and orientation. MS2004 ATC/centers is pretty accurate in most respects also. Of course, I'm well aware that there is nothing like the real thing. But, chance favors the prepared mind.

I'm coming down for a visit Nov. 5-7, maybe I'll see you then.

How many students do you have now, two? Mike told me when you first start out as CFI you are given two to work with. Plus you are responsible for them to learn and pass. Of course. Do you have your own apt. or do you live in Mikes Mansions?

Blue Skies...

I have more than two students. I have been instructing since March, and have consequently established a pretty good student base.

Look at some of my previous posts. I have described the evolution to instructorness.

Yes, we take instructing very personally, and therefore do the best we can. Hopefully the student has the same intentions.

No, my wife and I bought a condo in Vero. I don't like to rent. We are on final to 29L at VRB.

More than two, that's good to hear.

I will take time to research back through your posts for more info, thank you.

You have a good attitude and a professional viewpoint of your role. You strike me as a CFI that a student would be fortunate to have. I loved my private CFI. A great guy and a capable instructor. A part of him will always go with me on the ramp and in the air, always. For the past three years, when I fly I hear him talking to me with his words and advice. I was lucky to have him. I hope that will be the same for me when I CFI.

On final 29L VRB is your approx. condo location? Cool. I have a bumper sticker on my SUV rear window that says"I Love Airplane Noise!" How true.
smile.gif

Have a good day,

Blue Skies...

Back