Low Pass

It was a Superviking, I've got about 75-100 hours in one like that.

Big dick energy in that plane too. 737s and SuperVikes. Been saying it for years.

Found the ATC for the incident...can hear (presumably him) activating the lights at KANE,then about 40 seconds later says he is going down. Sounds like it all transpired pretty fast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Found the ATC for the incident...can hear (presumably him) activating the lights at KANE,then about 40 seconds later says he is going down. Sounds like it all transpired pretty fast

Is that LiveATC? Can you give me a link?

Craig said the car in front of him saw the flashing strobes in her mirror and stomped on the brakes thinking it was a cop.
I was looking at that too thinking what I would do in a situation like that. By the time I would put it together, it would probably be too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for sharing.... ;-) Off to find it now....

Great job by your buddy, no stars for situational awareness of the Explorer driver LOL. Had they just picked up on the freggin airplane behind them and veered right, he would have been able to fly it back out.

I was looking at that too thinking what I would do in a situation like that. By the time I would put it together, it would probably be too late.
You might think that, but I know I'm no super human at all and I've avoided a few potentially fatal\bad injury wrecks by reacting faster than my brain could even process I was in danger. Everyone is different, I guess, but I'd imagine most people with the capacity to fly would have the same reactions I did.

Great job by your buddy, no stars for situational awareness of the Explorer driver LOL. Had they just picked up on the freggin airplane behind them and veered right, he would have been able to fly it back out.

You might think that, but I know I'm no super human at all and I've avoided a few potentially fatal\bad injury wrecks by reacting faster than my brain could even process I was in danger. Everyone is different, I guess, but I'd imagine most people with the capacity to fly would have the same reactions I did.
Avoiding road hazards in front of you would be a developed ability. I would think a plane coming behind you (descending and likely coming up quite a bit faster than you are used to) would be difficult to have a response to.

Craig is a good guy and a very talented pilot. Glad he and the fam walked away. If you think that's cool, you should see what he does with his two Extra 330SCs...

Avoiding road hazards in front of you would be a developed ability. I would think a plane coming behind you (descending and likely coming up quite a bit faster than you are used to) would be difficult to have a response to.
I suppose, but this is the story I was thinking of:

I was stopped in a sudden stand-still once around a blind curve on highway 17 just after dark and some guy came whipping around the bend probably doing 80MPH or so. I had just abruptly come to a stop with only my lane blocked(turned out a car had hit the divider ahead and blocked the lane) and even going only about 60MPH, I had to slam on the brakes and got pretty close to the car ahead while cars kept zipping by in the other lanes. After the first "Oh crap", I wasn't expecting another "oh crap" moment at all, but the second I saw the motion of the lights in my mirror, I just could tell he was closing too fast at this point to slow down once\if he realized it, but by the time that thought had registered I had gunned the car into the gravel on the side of the road and found myself trying to keep it under control swinging wildly left and right in the gravel as I heard the tires screech and the huge impact into the car that had been in front of me and saw nothing but smoke and debris behind me. It all happened in maybe 3 or 4 seconds tops, probably about 2 seconds from me noticing the movement of the car was I already accelerating and trying not to hit the divider in the rocks. By the time I had control of the car, I was able to squeeze in front of the disabled car and get back on the road and keep going. But the accident was bad enough I noticed there was no longer any traffic behind me moving in any lane and there was a thick cloud of smoke\dust obscuring it all...but I was commuting from Santa Cruz to SFO back then and had to get to work on time so I just kept going and processed it all during the rest of the drive. I read later that though no one died, he hit the car ahead of me so hard that there were bad injuries one car ahead of that one from the domino effect. Having commuted 110 miles roundtrip for several years and driving all the time on top of that, I've had a lot of close calls, but that one was the only one where I wasn't even cognizant of what I was doing, I just did it. Couldn't do it again purposefully if I tried, I bet.

The point is, I'm just a normal person, and all of that happened faster than I could comprehend it, but my feet and hands knew the car had to get the hell into the gravel or I was going to get hurt. So I'd like to think if most of us here saw some large object closing fast like that with empty lanes all around you, you'd get the hell out of the way. I think that is just how our brains are wired. She thought it was a cop car flying up on her to pass, right? Then why brake and not GTFO? Again, we're all different, but if I did it, I'd imagine most of you would have also.

I gotta say, before that vehicle in front of him decided to slow down that looked smoooooooth

I was at work that night, he was receiving flight following for a tour around downtown. He keys up on frequency, says "Emergency!"....sup jumps into action and calls 911. A few seconds later "I need an airport"....few more seconds pass "I'm putting it down on 35W". His altitude showed 2000 feet, then he went up to 2200, indicating to me he pitched up for best glide, then disappeared off the scope a bit later, happened pretty fast..less then 90 seconds for the whole event to transpire.

Back