Low Fare US airline

BLRJSTREAM

Over here at ACA the rumors are flying.... We are now hearing that Branson my buy half of us and then we would turn into Virgin Red or Virgin Stars and strips????????
As I say its just a rumor, but it is all over the place over here.... I guess we will hear shortly on our stand with UAL.....

Haha..... there would be Song, Starfish, and Virgin Red.

The Starfish sang a Song after drinking a Virgin Red........lol......
grin.gif

cool.gif

Starfish is supposed to be some "internal name". They haven't "officially" named the new airline.

Of course, a starfish being a bottom feeder, the irony couldn't have possibly escaped them... (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

My money is on "Shuttle by United". Seeing as how they're taking that obviously winning idea and doing it again, I see no point in changing the name!

Paul

In the early days when Delta was working on "Delta Express", the code name was "Sunshine".

anyone heard of AirTran ? I heard they have some cheap fares, what a/c they fly and how long they been around? and what cities?

[ QUOTE ]
anyone heard of AirTran

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? lol I'll give you credit since you don't live in the States. AirTran is based out of Atlanta and is one of those so called Low Fare Airlines. They fly the new 717's and older DC-9's. They seem to be doing a great job in a strong Delta market.
AirTran

Well if there are any dispatchers looking for work....
ACA is hiring and hiring fast... we can't keep up with the people quiting..
It could be a risk, but who knows.... just keep in mind the pay is not good for the area we are in....... I mean NOT GOOD
smile.gif

Snow,
Assuming you are serious and never heard of Airtran (I know, you're in Australia but come on) they used to be ValuJet until the crash in the Florida Everglades on May 11, 1996 changed everything for them.

Actually they merged with Valujet and created a new airline. The two names are Airtran Airlines and Airtran Airways - I always get confused at which is new and old.

[ QUOTE ]
Actually they merged with Valujet and created a new airline. The two names are Airtran Airlines and Airtran Airways - I always get confused at which is new and old.

[/ QUOTE ]

IE: Bought a name and livery of an unstained carrier and ran like hell from the "Valujet" stigma!
smile.gif

I think they only had one with a fatality, but quite a few non-fatals.

Rep't
Type
Date
Probable
Cause Released
Regist.
Number
Severity
Type of Air Carrier Operation
and Carrier Name (Doing Business As)

Final
5/11/96
3/31/98
MIAMI, FL
Douglas DC-9-32
N904VJ
Fatal(110)
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier VALUJET AIRLINES INC

Final
2/28/96
2/18/97
SAVANNAH, GA
McDonnell Douglas DC-9-32
N936VV
Incident
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier VALUJET AIRLINES INC.

Final
2/1/96
5/2/97
NASHVILLE, TN
DOUGLAS DC-9-32
N903VJ
Nonfatal
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier VALUJET INC.

Final
1/7/96
12/11/96
NASHVILLE, TN
Douglas DC-9-32
N922VV
Nonfatal
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier VALUJET AIRLINES

Final
12/12/95
2/28/97
DFW AIRPORT, TX
McDonnell Douglas DC-9-32
N930VV
Incident

Final
6/8/95
1/17/97
ATLANTA, GA
Douglas DC-9-32
N908VJ
Nonfatal

Final
1/10/95
8/23/95
MEMPHIS, TN
DOUGLAS DC-9-32
N922VV
Nonfatal

Final
7/5/94
2/24/95
VALDOSTA, GA
DOUGLAS DC-9-32
N901VJ
Nonfatal
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier VALUJET AIRLINES INC.

Prel
1/28/94

CHANTILLY, VA
Douglas DC-9-32
N3339L
Incident
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier VALUE JET AIRLINES (D.B.A. VALUJET )

Final
11/29/00
5/8/03
ATLANTA, GA
Douglas DC-9
N826AT
Nonfatal
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier AIRTRAN AIRWAYS INC

Final
11/1/98
2/20/03
ATLANTA, GA
Boeing 737-200
EICJW
Nonfatal
SCHD Part 121: Air Carrier AIRTRAN AIRWAYS INC

Well both Airtran and Valujet were known as "scab" airlines, but it isn't fair to lump them togther like that. Airtran was doing a nice job with a hub in Orlando. Unfortunately yields to "Wally World" can be pretty low.

The merger was a good thing for both sides and both pilot groups (who are largely scab free now) are happy about it. Of course there are still a lot of the PFT guys from the Valujet days.

Oh no he didn't say that. Did he say that? Oh no here we go again!

I thought there were still a large number of former Eastern SCABS at Air Tran? Besides the one that was captain in the Everglades accident.

You know what's funny, is that Valujet's DC-9's are actually DC9ER's from none other than Delta Air Lines!

Nah not much more than a handfull left. They are all 60 or older by now Doug, that was back in what - '81? '82?

Back