Low Altitude Limit?

I was outside putting siding on my parents house today when a multi-engine plane flew over at low altitude(Probably 250'). There isn't an airport for miles in any direction from here. I heard you aren't allowed to drop below a certain altitude near homes. When I was a kid, I can remember C-130's doing the same exact thing for training exercises flying out Morgantown West Virginia (MGW). Is there a low altitude limit outside of landing and taking off? If so, what is it.

E_Dawg

500' sparsely populated, other than congested areas 500' from any person

congested areas 1000' above the highest obstacle within 2000' horizontally

Derg

New Arizona, Il Duce/Warlord
Staff member
Might be near a military training route? A MOA (Military Operations Area), an emergency? Low approach? SAR mission? Training?

Could be a variety of things.

Eagle

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't there something called a transponder or something on a plane that tells the ATC what altitude you are at.

[/ QUOTE ]

only if you turn it on,

Johnathan

You're right Doug, you never know what it could have been doing. I have been seeing some planes kind of low near my house and it got me thinking to look around where I live and see if there is a Military base or anything. I know my airport is pretty far so that can't be it, I wounder what it is?

pavelump

You gotta get low so that when you drop off your "payload", your below radar coverage...

Dave