Loving our job!

mrivc211

Now that I've been a CFI for only three short months, I've gathered up a few students and have begun to see what all my previous instructors were talking about when they said $30 per hour is not nearly enough money for the kind of work they do.

Well, every so often, some of my friends say, geeez you gotta go flying all the time?

And I just smile and laugh and say, "dude, it's what I want to do!". That made me realize, flying is not a job to me, its a passion, a desire, and a blessing. I mean, I can't beleive that I'm getting paid to go up there and teach someone to fly. The more and more I go flying, the more and more I realize this is what I was meant for.

It's funny, because I was sharing time in a twin this weekend with a flying buddy and decided to take my dad with me, and as my dad was telling his usualy stories to my friends, he said something that I never had heard him say before.
"Omar surprised me because I never once pushed him to get into flying". The funny thing was I had always had that thought in my mind. I always wondered if my dad ever realized that he never once told me to get into an airplane and learn to fly.....I just did it.
Kinda went off subject here, but I guess the link between the love of flying is that I associate it with my father whom I never really spent time with because of his flying career.

Good nite people
smile.gif

I hear you. Personally, I felt guilty the first few times I was handed a paycheck earned soley from flying. Boy did that wear off quick!
tongue.gif

But yeah, in all seriousness, its a fun job (most of the time). Hell, if I found the right place, I could do this for a few years and be perfectly happy (and poor, lol).

Great post! And I agree. However, I am not at the CFI stage yet and as such - not collecting a paycheck, BUT - I have that same feeling of "it's what I was born to do".

I've already come to the realization that I started too late (37- now 38) to make any money at it, so I had better love it, right?
laugh.gif
Good thing I do.

I also agree that having students and passing all this stuff along is really cool. I often stress unnecessarily. My first student I sent to a checkride was a Commercial Applicant. He did great, but I was nervous wreck. I felt like it was ME that was at the checkride... cuz my abilities to shape and train a Comm guy was at stake. Gulp.

It is a great job when you have motivated students. It's when you have the lazy stupid ones that you wonder where you left your gun.

[ QUOTE ]
It is a great job when you have motivated students. It's when you have the lazy stupid ones that you wonder where you left your gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true....
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Great post! And I agree. However, I am not at the CFI stage yet and as such - not collecting a paycheck, BUT - I have that same feeling of "it's what I was born to do".

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I can't really see myself doing anything else (except maybe a full time swim coach; I love doing that too LOL)!

I was born to be a full time beach bum, but that doesn't pay too well these days. So I figured I give aviation a try. What the heck.

I've been instructing now for 2.5 weeks and I love it.

I will never forget my first paycheck! It had been 18 months since I last worked and it sure is nice to be getting a paycheck for flying. Ahhhh.

I'm preparing an instrument student and I'm quite sure I'll be really nervous on the day of his checkride thinking....did I forget to teach him anything?

Surf

Back