Lost Comms Instrument Approach Question

I agree, that's why I don't think you'll ever hear it happen as in the provided scenario.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, that's why I don't think you'll ever hear it happen as in the provided scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

The provided scenario was:[ QUOTE ]
That's what I figured, but what if I had been passed on to the MSN approach control who began to vector me towards the localizer (before clearing me for the approach).

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you wouldn't get this kind of scenario in real life?

The scenario was elaborated in a subsequent reply by the original poster.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I should have been more specific. Lets just say that I am 15 NM SE and the MSN controller says, "Turn left heading 270, expect the ILS 36" and then zap! No more radio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, and I even went back looking for that and still missed it...
Now I understand.
smile.gif

Doesn't this all seem overly complicated. Trying to remember your ETA...what you filed for...blah blah blah. Now your trying to keep the plane right side up and trouble shoot a radio problem in the soup. Here's what I would do....squwak 7700 for a minute to declare an emergency, then squawk 7600 so ATC knows why (like they wouldn't already). Then follow whatever course you find to be the safest way to get the airplane on the ground ASAP. ATC will keep everyone out of your way. You have declared an emergency and can deviate from any part 91 rule to the extent necessary to meet the emergency.

Exactly what I was thinking, DE. As soon as ATC sees your 7600 squawk they will be moving other aircraft out of your way. Get yourself on the ground safely and promptly.

FL270

Exactly 270/DE. Why play hopscotch in IMC when the last thing the controller told you was "expect the ILS." So fly the ILS it's what everyone was expecting. You're lost comms and ATC will clear (or should) everyone out. The path of least resistance. It's my motto.
smile.gif

As I was typing a long response to this, I realized that there are so many factors that can determine the best course of action that it's almost too silly to debate.

And even the AIM admits this in 6-4-1 when they say, "It is virtually impossible to provide regulations and procedures applicable to all possible situations associated with two-way radio communications failure"

What kind of nav equipment do you avilable to you? What are the weather conditions? Are you on fire? etc., etc.

Fun exercise though!

Dave

Back