Loosing Skill As A CFI

Almost.... Now you just need to say "With you" and "Any other traffic please advise", all in the same radio call.

I heard this one last week:

"Ahhh.eah...um Practice Area Traffic..... SKYHAWK-three-wilbur-willie, ahhh.. blue and white 1-7-2 , with YOU!, gonna be doing a little ground ref, err ah... turns around a point..then a little set of steep turns.....and some engine failures....all traffic steer clear and any traffic in the area please advise"....

5mins later

..."wow uh b-eautiful day to fly out here...any traffic in the area please advise"

5 min later

"ahhh were gonna bump it up to six point five and do alittle sightseeing...any traffic in the area please advise"

"ah were all wrapped up, gonna head back in. LAST CALL, any traffic in the area please advise, GOODAY wiskey wilbur"

Sad thing is, pretty sure this guy is a local CFI.

any stories out there of botching a maneuver while demonstrating for your students??
Of course, but the real skill is changing your "demo" into a this is NOT how you do it/common mistakes without looking like a total tool. Pretty sure there is some FOI about this somewhere. lol

Try to demo something each flight. I would also ask to take a landing every now and then just to demo the A + job, or if we just got done with a long hot miserable lesson! Most of the time the students happily agree to the rest!

Hmm... I thought my flying got better while instructing. Who knows

I found the same. When I taught I would have the opportunity to demonstrate the maneuvers or have the student ghost on the controls for extreme cross wind landings. When I was training I would spend a few hours at most a week in the plane, as a CFI I would spend over 20. Even with the minimal time on the stick, watching students do things right or wrong allowed me to understand the nuances of each and every maneuver.

I do remember once trying to demonstrate a short field landing and not being happy with it, I explained what I did wrong, tried again and nailed it.

Back