Loose oil door and sticky MP gauge on Arrow II

flyinguitar

Are these problems that render the airplane unairworthy?

The oil door latch is broken, so the door pops open in flight. The hinges at the leading edge are still intact, so the door remains stable about 2-3" open.

The MP gauge gets stuck around 23" - for example, when reducing power from full to idle, the needle will stop at 23" and then as the throttle is closed further will jump to 15" or so. It does the same when increasing power.

My thoughts: the MP gauge is required equipment by 91.205. I would say this gauge is inoperative, and therefore would need to be replaced before the airplane is airworthy. Others could argue that it still has the status of operative.

I have no idea about the oil door. It is not required by 91.205, is not mentioned as required equipment in the AFM (I don't think), and it's questionable whether it poses a safety hazard.

Thank you!

Think of it like this, If you were to get ramped checked by the FAA what would they say? Sure they wouldnt know about the MP gauge unless they flew it, you would have to consult an A&P on that one as there might be an allowance for the gauge to stick. But for the oil door, is it the latch thats broken or just the spring on that latch? either way it cant be that costly of a fix

Are these problems that render the airplane unairworthy?

The oil door latch is broken, so the door pops open in flight. The hinges at the leading edge are still intact, so the door remains stable about 2-3" open.

The MP gauge gets stuck around 23" - for example, when reducing power from full to idle, the needle will stop at 23" and then as the throttle is closed further will jump to 15" or so. It does the same when increasing power.

My thoughts: the MP gauge is required equipment by 91.205. I would say this gauge is inoperative, and therefore would need to be replaced before the airplane is airworthy. Others could argue that it still has the status of operative.

I have no idea about the oil door. It is not required by 91.205, is not mentioned as required equipment in the AFM (I don't think), and it's questionable whether it poses a safety hazard.

Thank you!

FAR definition of INOP

Inoperative means, that a system and/or component has malfunctioned to the extent that it does not accomplish its intended purpose...

Is the MP gauge accomplishing his job? Doesn't seem like it.

Anything flapping around in the slipstream that shouldn't be flapping around is a safety hazard, so you can just stop right there on the oil door - legal or otherwise, fix it.

I'd ask a mechanic about the manifold pressure gauge. Not to weasel, but to me that's a squawk that could go either way—grounding, or annoying. I do like swisspilot's analysis, though, and having good engine instruments is step one in good engine management.

FAR definition of INOP

Inoperative means, that a system and/or component has malfunctioned to the extent that it does not accomplish its intended purpose...

Is the MP gauge accomplishing his job? Doesn't seem like it.
Thanks - this is very helpful. For those looking for a source, I found the definition in AC 61-97, not in the definitions section in the front of the FARS. This is every bit as legal and binding as if it were in the FARS.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22435

How would you feel if the passenger door wouldn't latch shut?
I can't speak to if the oil door is legal or not, but is it worth risking it breaking off inflight?
I've already decided I'm not flying the airplane. I'm asking for help in determining the legal status of these items so I can make a better presentation to the chief pilot of the club that operates the airplane.

Aluminum-Foil-Tape-425-300.jpg

That's good you have decided not to fly the airplane.

For the manifold pressure gauge, I would reference 91.205. The Advisory Circular you linked, while only advisory, provides a good definition of "inoperative."

For the oil door, I would say foremost it is a safety concern if the door were to come off in flight. 91.15 comes to mind, as do 91.7 and 91.13. Imagine the door falling from 5,000 feet and hitting someone on the head. Also, you could argue the aircraft does not meet its type certificated design.

My Cherokee had the oil door issue and I got it fixed last annual. It had been like that for years. I'm not sure if it was a latch adjustment or if my mechanic had to re-rivit something, but it was a very cheap fix and works great now. It never flapped around and wasn't going to come off. It was just annoying and didn't look good.

If the airplane isn't turbocharged, take 91.205 and throw itnout the window right now. That reg is basically useless IMO. What really matters is 91.213 and what the airplane was certified with.

Regardless of all that said above, the oil.door, IMO, and I. Just about every feds eyes I would imagine makes the airplane unworthy. Is the engine cowl functioning as designed? Well that would be a resounding no, it's broken, because that oil door is part of the cowl. Is the manifold pressure functioning as destined, again, no. So it's broken. Unless you can MEL something that is required(and I seriously doubt this thing has an MEL), broken is broken.

Either of these things can be fixed fairly easily. If the owner isn't willing to pay the cost associated with airplane ownership, he has no business owning and operating one.

Well that would be a resounding no, it's broken, because that oil door is part of the cowl. Is the manifold pressure functioning as destined, again, no.

If tapping on the face of the MP gauge made it work, I probably wouldnt write it up until my finger got tired...

Latches on doors sometimes take some "finesse" on light aircraft, but i wouldnt fly with it flapping around.

If tapping on the face of the MP gauge made it work, I probably wouldnt write it up until my finger got tired...

Latches on doors sometimes take some "finesse" on light aircraft, but i wouldnt fly with it flapping around.

I'll bite on the second about hammering(yeah, I consider that finesse) the oil door closed. But if the gauge is sticking through that big of a range, especially if it's a Ubuntu airplane, just remove it and overhaul that damn thing.

I'd get the oil door looked at simply because I wouldn't want to loose it. It'll probably get a lot more expensive then. For a flight home or something, well that's why every pilot carries a roll of speed tape right?
If tapping the MP gauges fixes it, I'd let that go until the annual or 100 hour or what have you.

If the airplane isn't turbocharged, take 91.205 and throw itnout the window right now. That reg is basically useless IMO. What really matters is 91.213 and what the airplane was certified with.

Ignoring the OP, this in response to anyone who cites §91.205.

~Fox

Back