Looks like I'm moving from the right coast to the left coast

Cool the Sierra foothills are rad. Lots of outdoor stuff to do.

ian I just wanted to expand on this really quick. Beale would be a crappy place to live if you were stuck there with no means of transportation out, but with a car and some occasional time off it's actually a pretty neat spot to be. I've never been to the immediate area around Marysville/Yuba City, and Sacramento isn't really my favorite place either (although there's some cool museums downtown), but Davis and Chico are both small college towns with a lot of character. Auburn and Grass Valley are very neat historic gold rush era towns with a lot to do. Dale could explain better than I since he actually lives there. There's some really awesome places to go hiking and mountain biking in the foothills not too far from the base.

But if you're willing to make the drive, you are pretty much at the half way point between outdoor recreation in the sierras and the Bay Area.

In the winter you're 2 hours away from fantastic skiing/snowboarding around Truckee and north Lake Tahoe - including Squaw Valley, which hosted the Winter Olympics in 1960 and is an amazing place to spend a day. In the summer there are tons of opportunities for recreation on the lake, and the ski resorts turn into hiking and downhill mountain biking destinations. Plus there's always Reno (meh) right down the road.

You're 2.5 hours from Lassen Volcanic National Park, and the entire area is covered in National Forests and places to hike and camp (Shasta, Trinity, Lassen, Plumas, Tahoe, El Dorado, Stanislaus and Mendocino National Forests). If you're up for a longer drive, Yosemite National Park is 4.5 hours away and is well worth the trip.

Finally you're only 2.5 hours from the Bay Area, and there's virtually an endless list of stuff to do there - from being a tourist in San Francisco to wine tasting in the famous Napa Valley.

I'll stop sounding like a corny travel agent now, but I just wanted to say there are worse places to be reassigned. :)

ian I just wanted to expand on this really quick. Beale would be a crappy place to live if you were stuck there with no means of transportation out, but with a car and some occasional time off it's actually a pretty neat spot to be. I've never been to the immediate area around Marysville/Yuba City, and Sacramento isn't really my favorite place either (although there's some cool museums downtown),

MHR was kick ass back in the day when it was an AFB.

ian I just wanted to expand on this really quick. Beale would be a crappy place to live if you were stuck there with no means of transportation out, but with a car and some occasional time off it's actually a pretty neat spot to be. I've never been to the immediate area around Marysville/Yuba City, and Sacramento isn't really my favorite place either (although there's some cool museums downtown), but Davis and Chico are both small college towns with a lot of character. Auburn and Grass Valley are very neat historic gold rush era towns with a lot to do. Dale could explain better than I since he actually lives there. There's some really awesome places to go hiking and mountain biking in the foothills not too far from the base.

But if you're willing to make the drive, you are pretty much at the half way point between outdoor recreation in the sierras and the Bay Area.

In the winter you're 2 hours away from fantastic skiing/snowboarding around Truckee and north Lake Tahoe - including Squaw Valley, which hosted the Winter Olympics in 1960 and is an amazing place to spend a day. In the summer there are tons of opportunities for recreation on the lake, and the ski resorts turn into hiking and downhill mountain biking destinations. Plus there's always Reno (meh) right down the road.

You're 2.5 hours from Lassen Volcanic National Park, and the entire area is covered in National Forests and places to hike and camp (Shasta, Trinity, Lassen, Plumas, Tahoe, El Dorado, Stanislaus and Mendocino National Forests). If you're up for a longer drive, Yosemite National Park is 4.5 hours away and is well worth the trip.

Finally you're only 2.5 hours from the Bay Area, and there's virtually an endless list of stuff to do there - from being a tourist in San Francisco to wine tasting in the famous Napa Valley.

I'll stop sounding like a corny travel agent now, but I just wanted to say there are worse places to be reassigned. :)

The thing is you could expand this list to the size of the encyclopedia but that is a good place to start.

wow thanks for all the info!!

Back