Looks like I'm headed to Purdue

ROSWELL41

Looks like I\'m headed to Purdue

Finally the college process has sorted itself out and it appears that I will be headed to Purdue entering as a freshman into the Professional Pilot Flight Technology major. I have about 30 hours toward my PPL and anticipate having it in time for the start of the year. I also intend on joining NROTC. Neil and others, what should I expect come August with the start of classes, etc? I visited once but would appreciate any further perspectives.

Re: Looks like I\'m headed to Purdue

Congrats! You'll love it. Honestly the first year is gonna' suck a little - that's when you have to get all of the required crap out of the way - math, english, economics, etc.

It's a big school - be prepared for a culture shock. It'll take a few weeks to get used to things.

Where are ya' going to live?

Jason

Roswell41:

Congradulations!!! You have been admitted to one of the most difficult, yet a close knit community, programs to get into!

Let's see what you can expect come August? I would advise you attend Boiler Gold Rush (BGR). You get to meet a lot of people from different majors; you'll also probably make most of your friends here. Plus, it's a great way to get know the layout of campus before the onslaught of classes.

Be prepared to work from Day 1! I had a hard time with that. In high school, which is one of the most difficult public schools in Massachusetts academic-wise, we would normally have a one to two week "transition" time from summer vacation to school time. That doesn't happen here! It really took me by surprise when the professor gave a little "who I am, what this course consists of, and this what the syllabis says" then launched into his lecture and assigned a boat load of work that night.

I would also look into joining some clubs. We usually have festival in the Union sometime in early September where all the clubs get out and show themselves off. We have literally 100s of clubs! It takes up the entire ballroom of the Purdue Union, plus the lawns outside!

I'm the president of one club (Purdue Pilot's Inc. -- a non-profit flying club offering cheaper rates than LafAv to students, staff, and faculty) and on the executive board of another (College Republicans). I just learned we had a waterski club (although, I hope they don't practice on the Wabash like the Crew team, that's just plain NASTY).

I'm going to be sticking around for another year, so don't hestitate to get in touch with me to help you with your transition. I love meeting new people!

AGain, congrads on your choice!

Neil- I actually went to visit the campus last month. I was VERY impressed by how advanced and organized the whole flight department seemed. I also loved the main campus. West Lafayette seems like a great college town. It was funny that as we drove in at 1130pm, the streets were literally flooded with kids and loud music. Our car could hardly make it down the street! I noticed Purdue is getting a 737-800 simulator. When will that be availible to students? Also, I know you are majoring in aviation managment. What kind of jobs are kids getting out of college with that degree?

>>It was funny that as we drove in at 1130pm, the streets were literally flooded with kids and loud music.<<

You must have driven up Union Street where we have the Boiler Room, Where Else?, and Harry's Chocolate Shop right next door to each other. It's always like that on Friday nights!

>>I noticed Purdue is getting a 737-800 simulator. When will that be availible to students?<<

I'm guessing that it probably will be available this fall. It won't be full motion, however. There are long term plans to mount it on the 727-200 sim's hydraulics to make it full motion. However, I'm getting this all information second hand... so don't rely on this as written in stone.

>>What kind of jobs are kids getting out of college with that degree?<<

As of now, there aren't really any jobs out there. No one is really hiring for anything other than those high turn-over, minimum wage airline jobs. ATC is hiring though! Don't get me wrong, the value of a degree from Purdue is high. Many employers believe that Purdue is ivy league. Hey, I'm only going to play into that steriotype!
grin.gif

Neil:
I'm interested in joining the College Republicans as I'm currently the President of my school's Republican Club. As far as the academics go, I think I should be OK. I've spent the past four years at prep school here in CT. I'm finally looking forward to studying something I want to study and something I love. I should have my license by the end of June. I'm still looking into ROTC options and leaning towards NROTC. I still have a lot of questions about specifically if I would have a good chance of flying in the Navy after finishing the Purdue program. Anyway, I look forward to heading out to Lafayette this summer.

I signed up for McCutcheon and for a second choice, Harrison. I'll find out my assignment in June.

Back