Looking to get back in it, maybe?

kls1981

How's it going,

Little bit about me: Im 31, married, wife is a nurse, with 2 kids and I live in Columbus, Ohio hence why I'm interested in Republic(I know, I know) I flew for a small part 135 company here in ohio mainly day VFR. Left in 09 to pursue a law enforcement career. I'm currently a state trooper in Ohio and my goal is get into the aviation unit. As any of these positions go your a cop first, pilot second. Bottom line, I miss flying I've been out of it professionally for about 3 years. Of course I would need to do some more flying to get up to speed. I know what lifestyle I would be getting myself into but for some reason I keep coming back to the idea of flying again. I do have 3700 hours 800 multi and an aviation degree. So I believe I meet most of the mins except the currency and ATP written.

Right now I make mid 40s, how long will it take me to make that or close to it at republic?
How are the benefits? Of course a state job will have good bennies, how are republics? Vac, sick, insurance?
How would life be living in base as opposed to not?
How long is reserve typically?
Is there the opportunity to pick up extra flying?
Once a line holder, how is the schedule while living in base?

I may have more, however I might be stupid for even considering this change, but I at least need to research it a little.

Thanks

I can't speak for Republic as I have never worked for them, but you won't make mid 40's as an FO at a Regional as you should not be including per diem in your annual income, so you would have to wait until you upgrade.

I believe upgrade time currently is 5-6 years(that could change for better or worse at anytime) and reserve time depends on base.

The benefits are not good at any regional compared to law enforcement especially if you have a family, and there is basically little to no retirement.

If you are on reserve and want to see your family any, you had better live in base.

As an FO, you will most likely be away from home at least half the month, every month.

IMHO, don't do it! For the sake of being able to see your family everyday and being able to look forward to a great retirement. Happy wife, happy life! LOL! You can always fly on your free time and maybe one day buy your own airplane... besides... flying a Cessna/Piper is a ton more fun than flying an RJ! :D

Right now I make mid 40s, how long will it take me to make that or close to it at republic? Two years. Once you start 3rd year pay you will make $40k with an 82 hr line including your per diem. Pack your food and the per diem is tax free money in the bank. I'm trending to make $30k first year (includes per diem and hiring bonus).

How would life be living in base as opposed to not? Columbus is a junior base for some so you shouldn't have a problem getting it right away. Commuting takes a good job and makes it terrible.

How are the benefits? Of course a state job will have good bennies, how are republics? Vac, sick, insurance? Nowhere near as good as your current job.

How long is reserve typically? Right now new hire classes are holding a line right out of training in Columbus. As long as hiring continues you won't be on reserve longer than a month or two but if hiring stops after you get hired it could be years.

Is there the opportunity to pick up extra flying? Yes, I've been called often on my days off.

Once a line holder, how is the schedule while living in base? Columbus is an outstation base, meaning that it is not a hub for mainline but a maintenance base so day 1 of your trips will start early and the last day of your trip will typically end late. Most people are getting 15 days off with around 80 hours with a few of the senior guys getting 18 days off and 89 hours in CMH. If you want to be home more at night you can bid day trips when you get some seniority but then you won't get paid per diem.

I too am looking to get back into the airlines.

I've been out of the business since the demise of SYX/MEP and have spent the last 4 years teaching middle school. I'm wondering what my opportunities of getting hired are after being gone so long. I only fly about 1 to 2 hours every couple of months in a Pa-28.

I've got the ATP and a DO328 jet type rating. My TT is around 3700 hours with sic time in the Beech1900 & Do328...and around 450 turbine PIC in the DO328.

If I spend some time in a local simulator, do you think I would be marketable?

I too am looking to get back into the airlines.

I've been out of the business since the demise of SYX/MEP and have spent the last 4 years teaching middle school. I'm wondering what my opportunities of getting hired are after being gone so long. I only fly about 1 to 2 hours every couple of months in a Pa-28.

I've got the ATP and a DO328 jet type rating. My TT is around 3700 hours with sic time in the Beech1900 & Do328...and around 450 turbine PIC in the DO328.

If I spend some time in a local simulator, do you think I would be marketable?

David,
I'm in the same boat (TT3,500, Jet 2,000)
What did you end up doing?
I just posted a similar post (waiting for moderator to post to site)

Back