Looking for traffic

scooter2525

Very well Member
I'm trying to find the thread or the section of the AIM that talks about ATC advising of traffic. For the life of me I can't seem to find it looking through the AIM.

From the Pilot / Controller Glossary

NEGATIVE CONTACT
Used by pilots to inform
ATC that:
a.

Previously issued traffic is not in sight. It may
be followed by the pilot’s request for the controller to
provide assistance in avoiding the traffic.
b.

They were unable to contact ATC on a
particular frequency.

TRAFFIC IN SIGHT

Used by pilots to inform a
controller that previously issued traffic is in sight.
(See NEGATIVE CONTACT.)
(See TRAFFIC ADVISORIES.)

No mention of fish finders, no joy, or bogeys. :)

From the Pilot / Controller Glossary

No mention of fish finders, no joy, or bogeys. :)

[/LEFT]

Thanks! I'm trying to break the "looking" phase ology and I couldn't find it in the AIM. Although a "dirty belly whale insight couldn't be thattttt bad, right?" :sarcasm:

Or that the service volume of his TIS is only 55 miles from a capable radar station, 7 miles around him, 3500 above and 3000 below ;)

OK, there's a flip side to every story. I'm flying south of Denver in a T182T with G1000, and the approach controller is giving me traffic alerts for a guy 2000 feet below me. I can't see him since he's not only 2000 feet below me, but 3 miles away. This goes on for a few minutes when finally, the controller gives me a heading to avoid the target. I finally said, "we have him on TIS" just so the controller would leave me alone. Not more than 5 minutes later, the controller *doesn't* tell us about the guy at 12:00 2 miles 500 feet below us heading north (we're heading south). But TIS did...

OK, there's a flip side to every story. I'm flying south of Denver in a T182T with G1000, and the approach controller is giving me traffic alerts for a guy 2000 feet below me. I can't see him since he's not only 2000 feet below me, but 3 miles away. This goes on for a few minutes when finally, the controller gives me a heading to avoid the target. I finally said, "we have him on TIS" just so the controller would leave me alone. Not more than 5 minutes later, the controller *doesn't* tell us about the guy at 12:00 2 miles 500 feet below us heading north (we're heading south). But TIS did...
My biggest gripe with TIS (Other than its EXTREMELY limited coverage area) is the delay. I have seen the other airplane be over a mile ahead of where the TIS said it was, in other words the TIS is telling you where the airplane WAS 20 seconds ago.

The day i get into a 172 and it says "CLIMB CLIMB CLIMB" and "Clear of CONflict".....

Isn't this TCAS II?

Newer Cirrus have TCAS so they could say it. :)

I also can't stand when people complain about proper radio communication when they don't use it themselves. I don't see a lot of flight instructors teaching to say "tree" & "fife".

Back