Looking for Some Good Books to Read (aviation related)

Jfk-Pilot

So yea i just got done reading "Flying High Performance Singles and Twins" by John Eckalbar, and i have to say this book is just full of awesomeness, it will definetly be in my reference book stack.

image020.jpg

So yea now that im done with that book, im looking for something else to read, hence why come to my fellow JC'ers for some good book recommendations.

So if you guys have read any cool aviation books lately, please do tell. :)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend

-Stan

Riding Rockets by Astronaut Mike Mullane....highly recommend plus if you send him a copy with return postage he will personally sign it!

Also "To the Limit" (about flying Hueys in Vietnam), Forever Flying by Bob Hoover, and One of my other favorites, "What I learned about flying from that" ( I have volume 3 of the stories)

These are more of a non fiction story type, not really reference.

"Gratuitous Overuse of 'So' on Aviation Forums" by Me.

What kind of books are you looking for? Aerodynamics, weather, systems, etc?

• North Star Over My Shoulder - Bob Buck (Ernest Gann 'ish)
• The Proficient Pilot - Barry Schiff (3 Volumes of good stuff to know)
• Flying IFR and Tips to Fly By - Richard L. Collins (Practical small plane wisdom)
• Wind, Sand and Stars - Antoine de Saint-Exupery (The Master storyteller)
• Flying the Line - George E. Hopkins (Airline/ALPA history)
• Flying South - Barbara Cushman Rowell (Travelogue, low hours pilot flies a 206 from California to the tip of South America)
• Grounded, Frank Lorenzo and the Destruction of Eastern Airlines - Aaron Bernstein (Just so you know why everyone hates this guy)
• Flight of Passage - Rinker Buck (Two brothers fly from New Jersey to California in a Cub)

"The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics"
by Hubert "Skip" Smith

I understood aerodynamic a whole lot better after this book, found a whole lot of things that I was just taught wrong.

"The Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics"
by Hubert "Skip" Smith

I understood aerodynamic a whole lot better after this book, found a whole lot of things that I was just taught wrong.

"Equal transit theory"?

I've seen that "explanation" for lift used so many times, even in aviation textbooks, and yet I'm told all the time it's wrong.

Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual is one that is a 5 star book in my opinion. DAMN is there a lot of good info on so many topics!

FAR's, a real page turner. :sarcasm: I'm actually just trying to get through Jeppesen's Instrument/Commercial manual (though, it is a great manual). I might try some of these suggestions just to break the monotony.

• Flight of Passage - Rinker Buck (Two brothers fly from New Jersey to California in a Cub)
:yeahthat:

Just finished it a few nights ago. It was good.

As for others:
The Naked Pilot - Interesting psych perspective of pilots
Black Box - Transcripts and limited accident analysis
On a Wing and a Prayer - Transcripts, witness accounts and limited analysis

I can't believe it took 20 posts.....

MOONDOG'S ACADEMY OF THE AIR and other disasters!!! By Pete Fusco.......

A not well known, but hilarious account of becoming a pilot from ragtag CFI to a multitude of other jobs.....hilarious!

Back