Looking for guidance in FBO vs. FSA and accelerated training at FBO's in PA

robair73

Looking for guidance in FBO vs. FSA and accelerated training at FBO\'s in PA

I'm in the process of choosing a path to my airline career. I'm torn between Flight Safety Academy in Florida and a local FBO. Price is an issue as well as time. I hear it is much cheaper to get ratings at a FBO than at a major school. The thing is, I would like to get all of my ratings as soon as possible. I need a little help here. The questions I have at the moment are:
1) What ratings do I need in order to get a job? (any job)
2) What ratings do I need to get a job as a regional pilot?
3) Do local FBO's offer all of the ratings for a regional airline positon?
4) If anyone is familiar with the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA, what are some good FBO's?
5) Is Flight Safety Academy worth 44K+ for a career pilot program including : 176 hrs class, 26hrs CRM, 44hrs dual flight warrior Cadet VFR (what is VFR), 61hrs solo practice flight wrrior cadet, 55hrs ME dual flight instruction in Seminole, 4hrs spin recovery, 4hrs spatial disorentation, 30hrs flight trainer(frasca-142), 110hrs flight briefing, 27hrs microsoft lab. total cost 44k+ with PPL, commercial liscence, private ME certificate, IFR in ME, and commercial ME certificate.
6) what type of job can i get with these certs?
7) is it worth 44k?
8) can i do this at an FBO?
Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I'm really excited about my decision to be a pilot. I just want to make the right economical decision. At the same time, I don't want to drag out the process of getting the necessary certifications. By the way, I just turned 24 in April, have about 90 credits towards a degree that i did not finish but plan to do so, and have a decent paying (30K/yr, if that's decent) crappy job. no wife, no kids, live at home. I just want to get my life started in a new career. Thanks to all, and this site is the best doug.

Re: Looking for guidance in FBO vs. FSA and accelerated training at FBO\'s in PA

Finish your degree.

Re: Looking for guidance in FBO vs. FSA and accelerated training at FBO\'s in PA

1) What ratings do I need in order to get a job? (any job)
a. you must have a commercial rating. And if you do not have your instrument lic, you will be very limited in where and what you can fly.

2) What ratings do I need to get a job as a regional pilot?
a. you must have a mulit engine commercial. It is worthwhile to have your ATP9airline transport pilot) written done. You willnot be able to take the check ride for the ATP until you have 1500 hrs.
3) Do local FBO's offer all of the ratings for a regional airline position?
a. most do, you may have to search around a little to find a muliti eng school, but they are around.
4) If anyone is familiar with the suburbs of Philadelphia, PA, what are some good FBO's?
a. Yes, I live across the river and can recommend a few please email or PM me with your specific details (where you live etc)
5) Is Flight Safety Academy worth 44K+ for a career pilot program including : 176 hrs class, 26hrs CRM, 44hrs dual flight warrior Cadet VFR (what is VFR), 61hrs solo practice flight wrrior cadet, 55hrs ME dual flight instruction in Seminole, 4hrs spin recovery, 4hrs spatial disorentation, 30hrs flight trainer(frasca-142), 110hrs flight briefing, 27hrs microsoft lab. total cost 44k+ with PPL, commercial liscence, private ME certificate, IFR in ME, and commercial ME certificate.
a. Not in my opinion, but others very. You will graduate with 208 flt hours, currently none of the Airlines regional or otherwise are looking at pilots wuith under 1500 hrs tt. This means you will need to Cfi for a while, and you will not be leaving FSA with your CFI rating.
6) what type of job can i get with these certs?
a. You can fly traffic watch and tow banners so long as the operations are not being operated under part 135 of the FARS then you would need 1200hrs.
7) is it worth 44k?
a. my calculations on the flight time alone, EXCLUDING the ground school, is at an FBO you would be paying about 15,000.
8) can i do this at an FBO?
a. yes

Oh, and finish your degree you will not fly for an airline without one.

Check out the fsi section....

oh, and ....finish your degree!

Finish the degree first and before launching off to a large academy consider picking up your private. It will help ensure flying is what you want to do before laying down 35-65K.

The FBO route is certainly do-able. I'm doing it.

But - and everbody sing it with me - DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!

And finish the degree!!!

Back