Looking for answers

BFriend

I am considering starting a new career in aviation soon at ATP. I have only been in a 172 for just over an hour, but it has been a dream of mine for a long time to move into the field of aviation (from architecture-I hate it!) and learn to fly. I have read a ton of posts and information about ATP and think it would be the best choice for me considering the short time frame and amount of experience gained. My wife is supportive and financially we'll be ok when I leave my job, but I am very concerned about the industry and the future of young inexperienced pilots. I am smart enough to know that air travel will not crumble to nothing in my lifetime. People will always want a way to travel around the world as fast as possible. And I know all the statistics are saying that a huge number of professional pilots will reach mandatory retirement age in the next 5-7 years. This all seams to fit my plans perfectly, but I would like a little reassurance from some of you that are in the trenches daily. I'm concerned that after spending $40,000+ on school, it will more than just difficult to find a flying job to build some time. I'd love to make the money of the airlines, but I'm also realistic and will considering anything that gets me in the air. Without knowing too much, I think my real dream would be to fly corporate, or Manuf. demo. This is a dream of mine, and I'm more than willing to put forth a great amount of effort to succeed, but the truth of the matter is, we can't force companies to create jobs for us and hire us. Any tips, hints, insight, etc. would be greatly appreciated in helping me make my final decision. Thanks in advance! Hope to join the ranks soon!

From what I've seen on this board and "up front and personal," after completing the quickie training, get your CFI certificates at ATPs and start working for them.

Put up with the how-so-many weeks at Jackonsville answering phones, it'll help you master selling flight instruction, and don't look back.

There are other ways, yes, but none seem to be as effective and timely.

But don't take our word for it. Check out any flight school very carefully before dropping a dime there. Don't just look at one aircraft, look at all of them. Check out the facilities, if any, and the instructors. Ask you instructor if he'll be there through your entire training, or not, or if it even matters (standardized training it really won't matter, too much).

Good luck!

Back