Looking for advice from those who've "been there, done that"

Spike511

Hello gentlemen,

Firstly, I'd like to apologieze for drawing lots of information and not really returning any of it. It's kind of hard to give information back to a community when you're not actively involved in the basis of discussion (IE: I'm not a pilot so i'm pretty useless at giving back here.) But hopefully, one day I can at least begin to contribute.

Anywho, here's my situation.

I've already started up my senior year of high school and quite frankly it's flying by. I've already had to start worrying about things such as homecoming and college applications.

One major decision i've made is that I will pursue a normal degree as opposed to an aviation oriented one. Partially because I keep switching between career choices, as most people my age tend to do.

As a young kid I wanted to be a stormchaser, but around middle school I wanted to be a cop, high school I wanted to be a pilot until junior year when I began thinking about law enforcement again.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to:

-Aviation
-Law Enforcement
-Fire/EMS
-Government (US State Department, Intelligence, Homeland Security, etc.)

I've already decided to major in International Relations. This would assist me in obtaining a government job, and meet the general degree requirements for Aviation, Law Enforcement, and Fire/EMS. This is a big step from wanting to take the 200k plunge and attend ERAU or FIT or some other big aviation school and throw all my eggs in one basket (thanks to you guys who talked me out of that awhile ago, that would have been a big mistake.)

I guess I'm just looking for general advice about how to pursue this next bit of decision making. All the above career options will hopefully (medical exams go well, joining goes well, etc.) follow time in the military. Hopefully the Army...where i'd like to be infantry, cavalry, or MP (I know, off topic...moving on.)

I've recently been thinking about possibly going into aviation as well as being a member of the Army National Guard. This sorta seemed like a good idea, what do you guys think? Second income, getting the best of both worlds, etc.

I dont really know what to say. Typically these kind of threads stir about good discussion that helps me make sound decisions. I know I still have 4 more years, to make a sorta final decision, but I'd need to begin getting my ratings during college. However, I've sorta decided to not do anything career wise my freshman year. Except for joining the volunteer fire department, and maybe linking up with a local search and rescue team. This is because everyone keeps telling me that in college you discover who you are as a person, and where you're going. You begin to mature as an individual and a young adult.

Anyway, does this make sense? I guess I'm just sorta looking for advice for those who've sorta been in my position before. For those currently in the industry, why did you join? Why do you get out of bed every morning and go to the airport? For those who are leaving, why? For those who want to enter the industry, why?

If you read most law enforcement message boards, you get alot of cops incredibly stressed with their jobs, and for good reason, and they want to leave. I've actually seen a bunch want to enter aviation.

If you read most aviation message boards, as you guys well know, alot discuss leaving the industry.

Before I conclude, to address a few points that i'm sure will be asked:

-Family: I dont plan on getting married for some time now, I have fairly high standards :)rolleyes:) and I have a feeling it's gonna be awhile before I meet the right one. As for kids and all that, I'm not entirely sure if I even want kids yet...i've actually seriously just considered adoption...I really dont like young kids...

-Time on the road: I enjoy traveling immensely. It's probobly one of my favorite things to do, ever. Even if it's to Themiddleofnowhere, Idaho on a rainy Wednesday afternoon in the middle of November. Actually, one of the positives about the career to me is living out of a bag for possibly extensive periods at a time and not being home very much.

-Pay: I'm a firm believer in money cannot buy happyness. I'd much rather wake up each morning and go do something I enjoy and make just enough to get by then get up each day and go do something boring and make 300k +.

I live in Northern Virginia, which means i'm in close proximity to IAD, BWI, and DCA. It's incredibly common to see at least one aircraft in the sky at one time, and everytime I see one I wish I was on it. That same feeling originates every time I see something like "Surviving the Cut" or I hear about my buddies endevours in getting ready to enlist right after high school.

Well, anyone who has been in my position before have any advice on what to do?

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Looking for advice from those who've "been there, done t

Join the military, I had those interests when I was finishing high school and I sure wish I had followed that path.

You've got a heck of a lot better head on your shoulders than I did at that age, so good on you.

I think you should try to become involved in some way in all of your interests and see how you like them... Maybe ROTC, take a few flight lessons (unless you have already), take a law class, etc.

It sounds like if you go into the military, it would provide opportunity for the types of things you want to do. As far as I know, Marines are the only one with a guarantee for pilots slots, although, I've also heard that they're taking their sweet time getting pilots through training because they don't really need pilots right now.

If you're going to consider the guard, you might think about getting involved in the air national guard or air force reserve. I'm all about getting lots of different experiences in life, but having one area of specialty is going to get you the really good jobs. If you decide that you want to go the aviation route, then you should get involved with it as much as possible.

That's a good idea to just take general courses your first year and figure it out but you should definitely try to figure it out so you can make the best decisions for your future.

And go Officer if you go into the military! Nothing against those who enlist, but if you do the officer route and have them pay for college, then when you graduate you're an Officer, that's pretty sweet.

If you like military and govt as well as aviation, why not do air force either enlisted or officer in ATC and move over to the civilian side?

Also, if you want the military to reimburse your tuition at any point, then you have to have loans.... This is a big one! If you or your family paid for schooling out of pocket, then they can not reimburse it to my knowledge.​

Eric,

I agree with the poster who said that you seem to have your stuff wired way more tight than I did at your age. Good for you. As far as flying goes, I think you're quite right to hold off on making any decisions until you've seen more of what there is to see.

I like flying for a living, for the most part (warts and all), but there's a litany of other things I might have done and been just as happy (or happier, or less so...you never know). I will say that you'll know MORE if you go to college. Yes, it's pretty much what high school used to be, and yes, you'll only get out of it what you put in. But the beauty is that for someone with the maturity your post suggests you have, that could be a lot. Airplanes aren't going anywhere. They'll be there when you get done with the journey of figuring out what you want and where you belong (many would say the best years of your life). And, everyone says it, but it bears repeating because I remember hearing it and not really LISTENING to it when I was younger: It's not a race. Seriously, you'll Get There. The part you need to pay attention to is where "there" is.

As far as the Service goes, much as I respect the Infantry (hi Lloyd), if you have ambitions outside of the military, there are many honorable ways to serve your country that are more potentially useful to you in the long term. I leave that discussion to those more experienced and/or current on them.

-Family: I dont plan on getting married for some time now, I have fairly high standards :)rolleyes:) and I have a feeling it's gonna be awhile before I meet the right one. As for kids and all that, I'm not entirely sure if I even want kids yet...i've actually seriously just considered adoption...I really dont like young kids...
I wouldn't make any decisions about what you think you want out of life yet. You'll change your mind on these things as often as you change your underwear (more often if you're a line doggie or a freight pilot).

-Time on the road: I enjoy traveling immensely. It's probobly one of my favorite things to do, ever. Even if it's to Themiddleofnowhere, Idaho on a rainy Wednesday afternoon in the middle of November. Actually, one of the positives about the career to me is living out of a bag for possibly extensive periods at a time and not being home very much.
Again, don't commit yourself to being away. It seems romantic in a weird, detached sort of way, but the truth of it is way more "cold" than it is "cool". Which isn't to say that you may not be one of those who will like it, but I can assure you that you have no idea right now which type you are.

-Pay: I'm a firm believer in money cannot buy happyness. I'd much rather wake up each morning and go do something I enjoy and make just enough to get by then get up each day and go do something boring and make 300k +.
This part still seems true to me. You're going to worry about being a vagrant at 35 who doesn't have a pot to pee in. "Retirement" will be a laughable dream, and you will definitely watch your peers enter economic classes you will eventually realize you are prohibited from. But you will experience things they don't and can't. The satisfaction of doing things that most people don't and wouldn't dream of seems to me to stand the test of time. I will never look back and wish I'd been a banker or accountant.

That said, the things that are off the beaten track, tough, and "different" that you want to do may not be operating an aviation appliance. Time will tell on that one.

This isn't advice, because I'm not you, and you seem mature enough for me to at least make an effort not to condescend. But IF I were you, which I'm not, I would go to a four year school (private if you're loaded or totally in love with what the school does, state if you're not or not), study deeply and seriously something that doesn't involve airplanes (and drink a lot/make a few low-grade mistakes on the side), allow your experiences to shape you, and reassess your feelings about flying when you're done with that. Again, that's not to say that you won't want to fly for a living...that's what I did, and I'm totally awesome, just ask me. But you can't know what you want until you know what you can have.

Thanks for a thoughtful, intelligent "wannabe" post for once. I wish you way more than luck.

Thanks guys. Good information here.

There will be pros and cons no matter which direction you opt to go. You are the one that will have to feel comfortable with those choices.

For each of those careers, talk to people in that profession, ask questions, visit with them and if possible job shadow. You may find something during that search that will turn you away form a particular career.

There is no requirement to go straight to college, but there is a requirement to be able to support yourself.

Remember the day after you graduate, your parents could have the "FOR SALE" sign out front or they could start charging you rent. :D Even if it is a joke, they want you to start thinking about tomorrow.

You will be "free" of your parents per se whether you go to college, military or just opt to move out, don't enjoy that freedom at the expense of your future. 2 or 3 dui's and you can probably say goodbye to a lot of careers or make it extremely difficult to get it or stay in.

You appear to have a good head on your shoulders and I don't mean to imply that you would do anything like that but we all are human and no one can predict the future, so just remember to use it more than for a hat rack.

Give you credit for asking for advice early. Never be afraid to ask questions. No one ever died from humiliation.

Finally - Welcome to adulthood!!

Back