Looking for accident reports: tire failure, flight control failure, prop failure

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some accident or incident reports in light single or multi-engine aircraft. Accidents must have occurred as a result of a tire failure, flight control failure, and prop failure. This is for a presentation I am working on for a safety seminar about preflight inspections.

If you know of such an accident and can direct me to the report I would sincerely appreciate the help!

Thanks!

I don't have an accident data, but we had an issue here for a while where guys were missing tire damage during a walk around on the last flight of the night and then the morning crew would discover a shredded tire when they got to the plane at an outstation at 4 in the morning. I think we had three or four events like that. I can only find one of the pictures, but the damage was pretty nasty.

tire.jpg

If you don't want to restrict your discussion to light aircraft completely, the Nationair DC-8 crash due to tire failure would be a good example.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some accident or incident reports in light single or multi-engine aircraft. Accidents must have occurred as a result of a tire failure, flight control failure, and prop failure. This is for a presentation I am working on for a safety seminar about preflight inspections.

If you know of such an accident and can direct me to the report I would sincerely appreciate the help!

Thanks!
Define "light" - there have been some fairly nasty/spectacular propeller and propeller control failures on commuter airliners (including a handful of overspeeds on the Brasilia that resulted in loss of control, and one rather spectacular incident of propeller failure that took a substantial part of the engine nacelle off), but I suspect that's a bit heavier than you were thinking and not much of the events that come to mind were preflight inspection problems, but maintenance problems.

There was also a prop-related accident with a skydiving DC-3 sometime in memory (N157U, NTSB# LAX85FA240) that resulted in the departure of a propeller blade from the left engine during takeoff. The operator had failed to comply with an AD pertaining to all Hamilton Standard radial engine propellers. (also maintenance)

This might be helpful. I'll continue perusing.

Thanks. Found some good info on props and tires. Still searching for flight controls.

Back