Looking for a great CFI/Flight school

jrwit

Looking to Ride-Along
Starting next summer I'm going to be starting my flight training (IFR-CFII/MEI) and am looking for some opinions on some good schools/instructors. Ideally, they'd be near home (South/Central Pennsylvania) but if you have some that are really just OUTSTANDING I'd be up to hear about those as well.

Obviously the big things are quality of instruction, close to home, cost...

Thanks for the help

I've definitely thought about social...the only thing that I'd be worried about is where to live/getting a job etc. while I flight train

I've definitely thought about social...the only thing that I'd be worried about is where to live/getting a job etc. while I flight train

They have some housing options at LBFC as I recall.

If you have the cash, Krieger can finish you up fairly quickly.

If you're looking to find an apartment, a job and fly once or twice a week, then SoCal is probably not a great option

FL, AZ are both great for year-round flying but I don't have any direct experience with them as a pilot. Jobs can be hard to find in parts of FL, depending on what sort of work you want while you train.

TX - there are a lot of options in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area - and it's very inexpensive to live there compared to other cities. Skymates in Arlington, TX has a good reputation. Austin Academy of Aviation (KAUS) and PIlot's Choice (Georgetown, TX) have both been popular places to train. I'm a huge fan of Pro-Mark Aviation in Burnet, TX, but it's a very small school in a small town - may not be what you want. Instruction is outstanding, though.

Finally, a number of pilots on JC have used White Air in Chanute, KS. May not be your cup of tea, but the prices are fair. They have a good rep from what I understand.

Pilots can recommend lots of good places if you can narrow down your criteria.

I can work pretty well anywhere....Jobs I've had in the past 6 years have been: Ice Cream Truck driver/manager, Fast Food, Retail Shoes, Grocery Store, Street and Door to door sales/fundraising, and general labor....so I'm not picky. Ideally, if I do move, I want it to be somewhere that has decent options after I'm done i.e. CFIing, flying Cargo, good connections to be made etc.

I'll look into the places you guys have mentioned for sure!

Anything in the northeast/mid atlantic you guys know about?

I can work pretty well anywhere....Jobs I've had in the past 6 years have been: Ice Cream Truck driver/manager, Fast Food, Retail Shoes, Grocery Store, Street and Door to door sales/fundraising, and general labor....so I'm not picky. Ideally, if I do move, I want it to be somewhere that has decent options after I'm done i.e. CFIing, flying Cargo, good connections to be made etc.

I'll look into the places you guys have mentioned for sure!

Anything in the northeast/mid atlantic you guys know about?

I'm training at what I consider a really excellent place in Leesburg, VA. You have both the experience (both positive and negative) of dealing with the DC SFRA. Very large fleet of planes, good instructors as far as I can tell. Look up Aviation Adventures in Leesburg.

You can always get a job as a line tech at an FBO. You get to play with aircraft all day.

Back