Looking down on where you came from.

I thought it was going to be something akin to “everyone I went to school with still works and lives in the crap town I escaped from. And now I glare at them from above”. :)
Well, I mean…over 1/2 my class from HS still lives there. One of good friends, she was an UAL FA for about 5 years, she and I were really the only two that have truly “seen the world”. Sure some have made trips to Mexico/Central America, or even Europe….but I can promise none have been to all 50 states + 6 of the 7 (or 8) continents.

I could look down, but like today, growing up in a small town really solidified that I was going to chase my crazy dream, and make something of myself. It made me who I am, and for that, it’ll always be near to my heart.

Is that Cherokee county, if it is, the perspective from 39000ft sure does flatten out the terrain

KCNI is only a 10 minute drive from my house. Interestingly, the guy that re-did my roof a couple years ago worked at S&S aviation at KCNI for a long time.

Do they know you're a pilot?
That's a silly question. First of all who cares, second a pilot will let you know within a very short period of time what they do for a living. Think about CFIs wearing epaulettes, are they embarrassed or proud? I can agree with both sides of that argument. In my particular situation it wasn't uncommon for my instructor and I to both show up in polo shirts, shorts and sneakers. My watch was much smaller than his. If I get into a conversation with people and someone asks what I do I say I'm a mechanic. Most of the time, unless I'm in a job interview, I never mention the fact that I'm also a pilot.

That's a silly question. First of all who cares, second a pilot will let you know within a very short period of time what they do for a living. Think about CFIs wearing epaulettes, are they embarrassed or proud? I can agree with both sides of that argument. In my particular situation it wasn't uncommon for my instructor and I to both show up in polo shirts, shorts and sneakers. My watch was much smaller than his. If I get into a conversation with people and someone asks what I do I say I'm a mechanic. Most of the time, unless I'm in a job interview, I never mention the fact that I'm also a pilot.
I was just going to say that you (or he) should hit them up on the electrons and send them a message like

Hey
"Sup"
I'm a pilot
"...and?"
Booyah!

Mic_drop_the_end

I was just going to say that you (or he) should hit them up on the electrons and send them a message like

Hey
"Sup"
I'm a pilot
"...and?"
Booyah!

Mic_drop_the_end
Last time I saw him I was walking through a terminal at LAX headed to Maui to get married and he was wearing a Delta hat walking the other direction. We had a very abbreviated conversation because of our schedules but the fact we were both pilots was a given. He got me through the majority of my training and signed me off to take my checkride, I saw his hat.

Had one of those moments before - I attended the MESA course, with the 5th semester of the 2 year degree program being BE1900 systems class and putting together your application packet. I remember finally getting there and the sour taste in my mouth from the ties and shoulder boards, call outs and procedural flows, the future of flying ungrateful passengers for less than minimum wage; and I left. Years later I had a surreal moment sitting in a clapped out BE1900 full of body parts, cancer drugs, and canceled checks while eating a sandwich at o' dark thirty. It wasn't the aircraft I was scared of or avoiding, it was the lifestyle. I was content as a clam at high tide. After flying bush planes to helos to anything I could get my hands on in between, there I was, back full circle.

I have that moment every time I fly over STL, which is just about every trip if we’re in and out of SDF. Glued to the window for at least 5 mins. Never thought I’d be flying over STL in a wide body especially doing cargo but life is full of surprises.

For me it was the days of sitting in my bedroom window watching TWA MD-80’s, the occasional Champion 727 and SWA classic 73’s in mustard colors fly over. When I go visit my parents I’ll still go in my room and reminisce sometimes. The moments of nostalgia is a nice break from adulthood. I wouldn’t move back to the middle of the country but it’ll always be special because it’s home.

Back