Look at what I found!!

Thank you.

Hi everyobody,

I just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone regarding the comments that have been posted.

I really... really... appreciate the very kind words that you guys have said.

I'm definately no actor as you can plainly see. My passion is flying and I've always enjoyed it. I know the industry isn't where it was when I got hired... but I also feel confident that it can and will be again. If you study the stock market, the housing markets, the economy, and of course airline hiring... you'll see that all these things run in cycles.

Most of the guys that are currently throwing in the blood, sweat, and tears to maintain flying in their life through training, instructing, flying checks, etc... just to get to an airline or corporate gig, are right where I was after 9/11.

I too saw many folks dropping out because they couldn't afford to keep instructing, or be away from home at all the crazy hours. But I also saw many, many more guys who hung in there and who turned into lifelong friends. Many of them are current FO's or co-captains at XJT and other airlines by now, and others even got their opportunity to hit the legacies or larger major's before me.

Just because there is a downturn... doesn't mean we still can't be enthusiastic about this career. Just because we have friends that are furloughed... doesn't mean that they still won't have 20+ good years in this industry. Just because the market is down and hiring is down... doesn't mean it won't rebound. Look back 2 years ago, then 7 years ago, then 7 years before that and you'll see very noticable trends.

The coolest thing about this website is that I've made some great friends and acquaintences along the way. Each of them have helped to shape me into the pilot that I want to be. It's because of this site and those friends, that I'm still enthusiastic about this industry. It's also why I still want to be an encouraging voice to those who are interested in this career.

I still remember when I first signed on to one of the first versions of JC.com many years ago. All the guys who "made" it were extrememly supportive of newbies like me. Even though it was after 9/11, the economy was in the dumps and just about every major airline was furloughing and going bankrupt.

Presently, it's an eerily similar circumstance... and yet, now that the ranks of JC.com have grown exponentially, it seems that a lot of folks are discouraging people more than encouraging them. That's something that I personally have a hard time with. I believe that it's entirely possible to be encouraging, and yet still be honest about the realities of this industry.

It's really easy to "do someone a favor" and give them the advice to not train now, or pursue this career, because no one is hiring for the immediate future. But, it's another thing entirely to be a true mentor, offer sound advice, allow the individuals to pursue their dream with them knowing both the good and bad.

Believe me... I have some really good friends calling me at all hours of the day just to "vent" at how hard it currently is in the trenches trying to "build time" in the hopes of something better coming along. Some are furloughed, some are bordering on 2 year CFI's, and some are in the middle of their training.

It'd be really easy for me to say... "No one's hiring... not for a long time... so just cut your losses and run.". But, a certain Doug Taylor and friends taught me differently.

If you are furloughed... sure, you have a right to vent to the newbies.
If you are long term CFI with crazy hours just trying to make ends meet... yep, you've got a right to vent too.
If you are a much longer term member of the OOTSK than you anticipated... then feel free to speak up.
If you are suffering in the crashpads of the commuters/regionals with bad dreams of "wookies" making you shave them... exclaim to the masses.
If you are an intrepid student in flight training right now wondering if you made a bad decision to pursue your dream... sure... vent away.

But... if at any point along the way in the pusuit of your goals or dreams, someone stopped what they were doing, if only for a moment, to give you a pat on the back, a word of encouragement, a glimpse of what can be, and even just a sliver of hope that says... "Hey, it's tough... but at this moment, whether your realize it or not, you are making lifelong friends doing something that most people only dream of.", then I feel it's your obligation to pass that on as well.

Ooof... well, thank you for letting "me" vent for a change, and one last thank you to those on this site that still encourage me every day to do what I do. :)

Bob

This one is hotter! lol ( i used to work with her and was one of her instructors...)

[yt]chuzdKnAAR4[/yt]

Bob,

I can only hope that once I get to where I want to be (when I figure that out) that I will have the time to give back as you are doing now. I think that is why most pilots hate the industry is because, as you said, they lose sight of why they even started. There are many different things that shape and change us throughout the years as a pilot but as long as you find a way to hold on to why you started training then aviation will never truly become a job. Sure, you are going to have bad days, long hours, and wish that you could be at home in the comfort of your own house but we pilots, and family of pilots, are a bread apart. For example, my wife goes to college right now and whenever any body asks what I do for a living she obviously tells them that I am a pilot. Each time, without fail, they are immediately in awe of the fact that I have followed my dream and became a pilot. So if I can help you, or anybody else on this forum, please let me know because every time that I can help someone else, I get to help myself a little more.

Sorry, didn't start out that I was going to rant but it just came out. Seem to feel the same way that you do Bob. Enjoy life, flying, and family. Without one of the three I just don't feel complete. I will be happy to hear people rant, or even the occasional B!&($. But don't forget that even if you don't have a job right now that you are not the only one. I am lucky enough to have one and I feel that there have been many times that I have forgotten that. Anyways, it's late and I have to sleep...

Thanks for the kind words Bob and to my fellow pilots...keep on :rawk:

Bob.... Those were some truly inspirational and encouraging words. I hope I can get all my stuff(and money) together so I can start training some day. Seeing people that are so enthusiastic about helping others achieve their goals really takes a bite out of all the doom that seems to float around about the profession

I guess what I'm trying to Say is thank you sir.

Re: Thank you.

Just because the market is down and hiring is down... doesn't mean it won't rebound. Look back 2 years ago, then 7 years ago, then 7 years before that and you'll see very noticable trends.

Bob

I appreciate your enthusiasm, I really do. I started flying in 1976 and that's all I have done since then. My data points are a little farther apart than yours. From that vantage point I do see a cyclical industry that does rebound.....But, the insidious and most devastating problem is each up, over time is less than each down. When all the plusses and minuses added up over a career it becomes very sobering when each generation must look into the eyes of the next and tell them their reward will be less. Way less. You are a sharp guy Bob you have to see that.

Bob, we all appreciate your effort and time. Thank you for the vid and the posts.

And that chick flies a 650? Dannng, thats a good looking airplane.

The Citation III is to the Cit. X as Barry Bonds was in the 90s. A good player, but not over juiced yet.

Back