Long XC Question

HeyEng

Quick question...

When you are doing your long solo XC (the 150 NM one w/ 3 stops) when you plan on the 3 fields, do you have to have previously landed at those fields before? I think that is the case, but can't remember off the top of my head.

No, your instructor just has to endorse your log book giving you permission to land at those fields just like your first solo cross. My long cross was to two fields I never landed at before. I chose two fields that provided the best routes for scenery and challenge. First leg was between a Class B and a class C using pilotage/dead reckoning and lead to a landing at an airpoint on the cape. Second leg was up the coast line out over the ocean to avoid an active MOA using VOR triangulation to determine when I was clear to turn inland to the airport and the third was a short GPS trip across state to my home field. I used flight following the whole way too. Lots of fun!

Congrats on getting to this point of training. Enjoy the flight! Take lots of pics and post them up.

Quick question...

When you are doing your long solo XC (the 150 NM one w/ 3 stops) when you plan on the 3 fields, do you have to have previously landed at those fields before? I think that is the case, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Negative.

I routinely send my students to unfamiliar airports. How are they supposed to learn if they never go outside their comfort zone?

Good deal...Thanks Guys!! :)

I wasn't too interested in going to the "same 'ole places". With any luck, I'll take my check mid-August. It would be a little sooner, but the DPE isn't available until then. Boo!

Pics are in order...and will be posted, I have just been mad busy!!! (flying, school, work, honey-do list...and on and on!!!)

Why don't you do something like AUS-CLL and return or maybe even out to DWH, ACT, or AFW. It's more than the required 150 miles, but when I did my PPL you had to do a 300nm XC and minimum 10 hours solo XC time, so I consider the 150 nm "cross countries", frankly, a joke. Get out there and see some of Texas! :D You probably need the hours anyway. VFR navigation with a sectional, stopwatch, and a fuel log was my favorite part of PPL training. Above all, have fun and stay safe.

Back