Long distance flight - a plan for spring break

Parabellum

So here I've been trying to find a way to build the necessary flight time to start working on my commercial. I decided one of the best and most fun things to do would be to do a long, multi-state cross country trip from Denver, CO to Dayton, OH during my spring break in March. The trip would consist of three legs.

First leg: Denver, CO to Salina, KS.
Second leg: Salina, KS to St. Louis, MO
Third leg: St. Louis, MO to Dayton, OH.

I would likely follow the trip in reverse order when flying back home, unless of course divertion was necessary due to a headwind or weather.

Has anyone flown a trip like this before? To any JCers that may live anywhere long this flight path, how much IFR weather does the midwest typically get during March? I've thought of perhaps waiting until summer instead because at least here in CO anyway, spring brings a lot of unstable air (The worst turbulence that I've ever encountered has been during March and April).

What do you guys think?

I live in St. Louis, based at SUS. and there is the possiblity for IFR and thunderstorms in Missouri during that time frame. The thing about weather in the midwest is that we get a little bit of everything and if you don't like it wait a while because it will change. The thing with March in this area is that early in the month it is still possible to see snow and freezing tempuratures like the winter, but by the end of the month it is very possible to be humid and in the high eighties. it just kind of depends on which way the jetstream decides to go whether it is hot or cold here.

By the way if it is warm when you make the flight be sure to stop at Flower aviation in Salina, KS and see the bikini line girls, and if you do stop in St. Louis let me know.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way if it is warm when you make the flight be sure to stop at Flower aviation in Salina, KS and see the bikini line girls

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like it might be worth waiting until June just for that.
grin.gif

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I'll end up somewhere in St. Louis for part of the trip, so I'll yell when I do.

Well I live in Dayton, I'll probably be back home over my spring break, thats the 15th through the 21st. If those are the dates your looking at, I'd be more than happy to take ya out to lunch and show you around town.

[ QUOTE ]
Well I live in Dayton, I'll probably be back home over my spring break, thats the 15th through the 21st. If those are the dates your looking at, I'd be more than happy to take ya out to lunch and show you around town.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awsome... I'll throw you a PM when I know for sure what I'm doing. Those dates sound pretty close to my planned trip. I'll likely stay at my sister's house there for a few days, but there ain't nothing wrong with meeting up with a fellow JCer while I'm there.

I sat in the backseat of a Piper Aztec from Miami, FL to Atlanta, which for most pilots is a relatively short, beautiful flight. On the way there we lost our mode c and only had mode a (if I remember) and had to stop to get it fixed (no way we're going into ATL with no Mode C), but we took advantage and got a good lunch in. Anyways, the PIC of most of the trip was in need of multi-time before he left for Riddle so he forced me to go. Let me tell you, these are the trips that you remember! We're planning another trip to Washington, D.C. in Jan. If you're in an aeronautical college such as Embry I know for fact you got assigned flights and you ain't going to be staying over night either. We do these trips for the time, experience, and in all honesty...the fun. Sixflags was a blast and the nightlife is exciting, I wonder what Washington has in stored for us. O boy, I'll be the PIC on this one...imagine that.

Clem

Why make your spring break destination Ohio? How bout a real CC down to Florida
smile.gif
You'll have a blast and get the time you need!!

Florida would be nice. The only real reason I chose Ohio is because I have family there and I wouldn't have to spend cash on a hotel for several nights. Plus, Dayton is one of aviation's "holy cities."
smirk.gif

Thanks Ryan, I'll be sure keep that in mind. Sounds like this trip could be a good networking run if nothing else.
grin.gif

Back