Long cross country for multi addon

c172captain

My buddy is going to go for his multi engine rating with commercial and instrument addons. His instructor is trying to make him go on a long cross country as required by 61.129. I think he's wrong for two reasons:1) I never did a long cross country for the commercial addon when I did the multi ride (if i was supposed to... im screwed lol) 2)I believe that the long cross country is only for the INITIAL commercial.

Can someone help me out and give me hard FAR evidence that states that my buddy doesn't need to do the long cross country?

My buddy is going to go for his multi engine rating with commercial and instrument addons. His instructor is trying to make him go on a long cross country as required by 61.129. I think he's wrong for two reasons:1) I never did a long cross country for the commercial addon when I did the multi ride (if i was supposed to... im screwed lol) 2)I believe that the long cross country is only for the INITIAL commercial.

Can someone help me out and give me hard FAR evidence that states that my buddy doesn't need to do the long cross country?
If he already has a commercial certificate then he just needs proficiency, none of the other requirements apply.

No XC component is required for the multi-comm add-on. His instructor is trying to either sell him snake oil or bilk him out of some cash.

That's how Riddle makes insane amounts of money. You have to do your "long cross country" in the twin. Or as we called it when I left "the $1600 cross country" but I'm sure it's more now.

Unfair. The most likely explanation is that he is simply mistaken. Common misunderstanding with new instructors.
I agree that the instructor in question needs to be given the benefit of the doubt, but there are also plenty out there that will sell their soul for a few more multi engine hours.

There is one guy I know that has earned the nickname: "Milk Man"

What shocks me more is that so many students don't do their homework on what they are spending their money on.

there are also plenty out there that will sell their soul for a few more multi engine hours.

Probably, but I observe that there are more that are trying to do the right thing as best as they know how. We create more of them by assuming good intentions.

It is required if you do the multi first. Isn't that what riddle does?

Exactly. They want to make $$ so they make you do the multi-commercial first. I remember the looks in the eyes of the ERAU instructors and the Chief Pilot and whatever it was that SJ used to do.... dollar signs. Always dollar signs.

Unfair. The most likely explanation is that he is simply mistaken. Common misunderstanding with new instructors.
I agree, completely unfair.

It's quite clear he's bilking his student for multi time, not cash. :buck:

Exactly. They want to make $$ so they make you do the multi-commercial first. I remember the looks in the eyes of the ERAU instructors and the Chief Pilot and whatever it was that SJ used to do.... dollar signs. Always dollar signs.
Not all of them are like that. In the case of my Skool of Flite, our only complex single was mostly used for University official transportation, and I have heard that we might be selling it now. So the multi's it is for initial commercial.

For the OP...this is the kind of thing that I work very very hard to avoid as a CFI. With the cost of flight training now, you HAVE to be on top of stuff like that. To mess it up is completely unprofessional. And for those of us with more experience, we need to help out the n00bs so that they don't do stuff like that by accident.

Not all of them are like that. In the case of my Skool of Flite, our only complex single was mostly used for University official transportation, and I have heard that we might be selling it now. So the multi's it is for initial commercial.

For the OP...this is the kind of thing that I work very very hard to avoid as a CFI. With the cost of flight training now, you HAVE to be on top of stuff like that. To mess it up is completely unprofessional. And for those of us with more experience, we need to help out the n00bs so that they don't do stuff like that by accident.

Hmm yeah when we did our commercial single we did it in a fixed-gear fixed-prop 180HP 172.

Back