LogTen Pro Question

High Price? Logbook Pro is $69-$149 depending on which version you get, and LTP has one price - $99. The LTP mobile version is a one time price (I think it's $30-$50 depending on if you get one device or two) whereas LBP is an annual subscription, so you'll likely be paying more in the long run with LBP. I think they're pretty comparable in price.

Oh, okay. So just to clarify, there is nothing special about Log Ten then?

Oh, okay. So just to clarify, there is nothing special about Log Ten then?

Airbus vs. Boeing, Windows vs. Mac, iOS vs. Android, LTP vs. LBP...the debates go on. Basically, if you have a Mac, you get LTP, if you have Windows, you get LBP. I think it's pretty funny (and misleading) that LBP says that it's compatible with OS X but then provides a footnote that says only when Windows is installed on a Mac (so basically it cannot be installed on OS X).

I think it's also funny that LBP's website markets their product on a 13 year old operating system. I'm sure it works great (so does LTP by the way) but it's pretty utilitarian looking.

Just throwing some fuel on the fire for LBP users! Don't take me too seriously. :D

I switched to LogTen and haven't ever looked back. The support is much better, and I enter my flights using the iPhone app.

Interesting. I've been using LBP for over 5 years and haven't required any support (it updates itself several times a year, no technical issues for me yet) at all because it worked exactly as I needed it to from day 1. I'm not trying to bash LogTen because I haven't used it, but given my personal requirements for a device/program that stores and totals my flight times, I can't imagine what amazing features I'm missing.

Interesting. I've been using LBP for over 5 years and haven't required any support (it updates itself several times a year, no technical issues for me yet) at all because it worked exactly as I needed it to from day 1. I'm not trying to bash LogTen because I haven't used it, but given my personal requirements for a device/program that stores and totals my flight times, I can't imagine what amazing features I'm missing.

I didn't like the user interface with LBP, and they didn't support the iPhone. I had a palm that I carried to enter times, and carrying a palm with an iPhone got old. So it all boiled down to ease of data entry for me.

Early on LogTen had tech issues, but I haven't had any since the earliest versions.

I'm not knocking LBP. I just wanted something more portable because I'm lazy, and hate entering flights after a trip.

PhilosopherPilot Logbook Pro does run on IOS, Android, Kindle, Nook and one $29 a year subscription allows you to run the Logbook Pro App on an unlimited number of supported mobile devices.

How many times has LogTen required users to pay upgrade fees or repurchase the program vs Logbook Pro?

Also LTP's sync is a lot more convoluted than Logbook Pro's cloud sync. LTP requires both devices to be on the same internal network or if that doesn't work you have to create an adhoc network. Logbook Pro doesn't care what network your devices are on. They just need to be able to access the web for a quick and easy sync.

I also wouldn't confuse an easy to use interface with simplicity. There is a lot that goes on "behind the scenes" to make it easy to use and get the totals that people want for Airline Apps and other applications.

Airbus vs. Boeing, Windows vs. Mac, iOS vs. Android, LTP vs. LBP...the debates go on. Basically, if you have a Mac, you get LTP, if you have Windows, you get LBP. I think it's pretty funny (and misleading) that LBP says that it's compatible with OS X but then provides a footnote that says only when Windows is installed on a Mac (so basically it cannot be installed on OS X).

I think it's also funny that LBP's website markets their product on a 13 year old operating system. I'm sure it works great (so does LTP by the way) but it's pretty utilitarian looking.

Just throwing some fuel on the fire for LBP users! Don't take me too seriously. :D

I couldn't agree more. LBP is basically a 20th century application. I used it in 1999 or 2000 and it hasn't changed much since (being at version 1.6 or something). For the flying I do, I much prefer LogTen Pro even if I did have to go out and buy a Mac.

I think I'd better do some emailing. I met the LogTen Pro guys at NBAA a few years ago and they were pretty cool.

Let me see if I can drag 'em to the forum. Stay tuned.

Does LTP have a PDF export feature or something similar where I can email a log book copy to be printed? I'm not interested in a "Print your logbook real nice" service, I don't have a Mac, and I haven't invested in a mobile-device compatable printer yet. I'd make the switch today if I could figure out how to get my logbook back into paper form for those few occasions I need it....

After some poking, I'll answer my own question:

From the LTP website-

"iOS does not have the ability to create full-sized PDFs, and few printers support printing directly from iOS devices, so we designed a simple web-service to get around these limitations.

Simply generate any logbook report on your device, and then upload a copy of it to our server.
You will receive a special email containing a link to access your report.
Access this on any browser, and print or save the logbook as a PDF to create a hard copy."

Does the iOS version of LTP offer an option to import from Excel, or would we need to re-enter everything?

Does the iOS version of LTP offer an option to import from Excel, or would we need to re-enter everything?

I've been using LTP since I was a CFI. importing on the iOS versions isn't possible, on the mac version it is. Furthermore if you have a custom excel file or file from another companies program, you can email Coradine and they will design a custom import file for you so you can drop your old data in.

Just started tinkering with some of the reports myself, they are all HTML based, so with a little knowledge and a free editor, you can do pretty much anything you want.

Derg, definitely getting the Coradine guys on here would be great for us (and I'm sure them too)

Separately, unfortunately. I, as well, found them on sale around Christmas for 50% off and unloaded a bunch of saved up iTunes gift cards.

I'm having issues with mine totaling up my airlineapps times, though. Trying to sort that out as we speak.
I've ran into the same issue (if you haven't fixed it yet) but you have to set the preferences to show "x.00 hrs" vs just "x.0 hrs"
For some reason it uses that method to total up for the apps.

You can import from a CSV, but you have to work with the LTP support folks. They seem easy to work with.

So far, I rate the program a 7/10. It's pretty good, but the syncing is definitely clunky. I like that I can easily search by person (ie..each student). I'm using it to review student progress often. I get asked "How many hours in X type do you have?" I can answer it on the spot with LTP.

Giving endorsements for students with LTP is a pain. Additionally, I just have pics of all the relevant paper endorsements uploaded vice making others go through the LTP endorsement pain.

The Coradine folks should listen up to learn where their product is doing well and where it needs more polish.

I don't want to be that guy Cal, but I used LTP back in 2010 (I had a macbook back then) and it was absolutely sensational.

I'm not a fanboy by any means. I own a nexus 4 (and a 5 is in the mail), love love lvoe android, windows and linux. That said, OSX is a fantastic operating system, as is iOS.

So now that we've established I'm absolutely NOT a fanboy, LTP kicks the absolute living daylights out of logbook pro which I currently use.

To the point where I, for a while, ran a virtual mac on my laptop just so I could run LTP. It's hard to explain how amazing it is until you experience it. It's kind of like never having flown. It's hard to explain the feeling but the moment you get in the air you experience that feeling and you wonder how you ever lived without it.

I still miss LTP as you can all see..

I still miss LTP as you can all see..

I don't doubt your sincerity, but my point really is that I use LBP and it does what I need it to do as a logbook. When I do job apps, I can extract the specific totals as required. I just imagine that anything else a program such as this does would be superfluous fluff. Cool? Perhaps. But at the end of the day, we're talking about a system of cataloging and adding numbers. I don't think I require anything more than that from a logbook system, paper or digital.

Back