Logging Turbine Time in a Turboprop Aircraft

Parabellum

While I was hanging out at the airport yesterday, I met this woman who happened to be a F/O with Skywest. Naturally I was curious, since she was in a position that I someday hope to be in. Interestingly enough, SkyWest wasn't where she origionally started. After building hours as a CFI, her first part 121 job was with Great Lakes, flying Beech 1900s. Now if I understand correctly, time logged in a turboprop airplane AND a pure jet both count as turbine time, right?

I certainly don't question her motive for going to SkyWest because that sounds like the better airline of choice to me too. But is it possible to log all the turbine time you need to qualify for a major airline position in a Beech 1900 or EMB-120? (Doug, did you fly any other aircraft besides the 1900 during your days with Skyway?) With the growing number of RJ fleets out there, is it possible that majors will begin to require applicants to have pure jet time to be considered?

And one last question. Is there any future for turboprop aircraft? From what I understand, the EMB-120 is out of production and the Beech 1900 just went out of production last year. Makes me wonder how much longer carriers like Great Lakes will be around.

Thanks for any info!

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any future for turboprop aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

The regionals will always need turboprops for those very short domestic flights.

You will still be able to go to a major with just prop time, I have some friends that have recently done it, and have talked to people at the major I am looking at. I am planning on going straight from the 1900 to a 737. It looks like it won't be all that long either.

As for turboprops, we fly them into some pretty nasty places where you couldn't fly some jets into. We do a lot of short gravel runway ops.

We also run some of the longest legs for regionals also. We have 3+ hour legs with no Lav in the plane.
confused.gif

Jet time is much more valuable in the airline job war than turboprop. Look at places like jetBlue.

Maybe it isn't about the powerplant so much as the weight. But I haven't seen any civilian turboprops going by the "Heavy" call sign
smile.gif

It did and sometimes still does happen, but with so many pilots with Jet PIC on the street right now, places like AirTran are now looking for 1000hrs. 121 Jet PIC minimum.

--03M

After doing multiple amounts of research on this question, I've basically come to the conclusion that it depends on the specific major airline you're looking at. On Delta's web site, they list their flight time requirement as having a minimum of 1,000 hours of either turbofan OR turboprop time, so I'm guessing that's why Doug was able to get away with not flying an RJ before getting with Delta.

The fact that JetBlue and AirTran have more strict requirements doesn't surprise me. In fact, last time I looked at JetBlue's web site (which was some time ago, may be different now), they were only looking for people with previous A320 experience.

It depends on where you want to go. I think that the majors all require turbine PIC time. Some even require turbine PIC in aircraft over 20,000 pounds.

[ QUOTE ]
Jet time is much more valuable in the airline job war than turboprop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. PIC 121 time in an ATR is probably more valuable then PIC 91 time in a Citation.

[ QUOTE ]
Depends. PIC 121 time in an ATR is probably more valuable then PIC 91 time in a Citation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree

Back