Logging Time

Mustang17c

So here's a question for you guys of which I have so far heard different answers. During my PPL Checkride the DE said that I had to log all my time up until the Checkride as Solo time (not PIC). The Checkride was the first instance where I was able to log PIC time.
But, I was aware that if the sole occupant of an aircraft was a student pilot, he would still be able to log PIC time because of the fact that he is the sole body in the aircraft.
Which is correct?

e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in- command time only for that flight time during which that person --

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated;

(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft;

I was always told that you could log solo flight as PIC if you are a student pilot.

My instructor told me to write off my solo as PIC. I read on some site that quoted FARs that said you log solo time as PIC time. I may be wrong tho........

Edit: DantheMan beet me by a couple of seconds, so I'm basically just repeting him..........

A long time ago, student pilot solo flight was not loggable as PIC time. Now it is.

Never argue with the DE on the ride (you did the right thing)! Once the white paper's in hand, let him know.

Thanks for the responses guys, I thought I was right. I wasn't about to put up a fight with the old man for somethin petty like that.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So here's a question for you guys of which I have so far heard different answers. During my PPL Checkride the DE said that I had to log all my time up until the Checkride as Solo time (not PIC). The Checkride was the first instance where I was able to log PIC time.
But, I was aware that if the sole occupant of an aircraft was a student pilot, he would still be able to log PIC time because of the fact that he is the sole body in the aircraft.
Which is correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your time will be logged as non-PIC, non-solo while an instructor is in the airplane, of course. However, If you are solo meaning you are the only soul on board the aircraft, even as a student, who do you think is the Pilot In Command? The only person it can be, You! Solo, pre-private=PIC.
Now here is where I screwed up early in my logbook. I took all my friends for a ride after I earned my private pilot license. I logged it as Solo, I mean none of them knew how to fly the aircraft if I fell out the door. Right? Wrong, you must be the only soul on board to log time as solo post-private.

SO correct me if I am wrong 172 captain
Since I have now completed my PPL:
-if I am up alone, I am logging solo and PIC
-if I am up w/someone else, it is only PIC

Man, for the kind of coin most DEs charge for their "services", the least they can do is keep abreast of the FARs!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A long time ago, student pilot solo flight was not loggable as PIC time. Now it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was back in my day. I remember being specifically told not to log the time as PIC. Which I always wondered about the whole only-person-on-the-plane-but-not-PIC thing.

Got to go add it in now.....

e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in- command time only for that flight time during which that person --

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated;

You're not qualified in the aircraft until your checkride. Don't log it as PIC

What Viper just said is wrong. As everybody else just said you can log student solo as PIC. Here's an except from the Las Vegas FSDO...

-------------------------------------------------
A student pilot can now log PIC. That’s new, and since there is no restriction, your logbook can be updated so that all student solo time prior to August 4, 1997 may be logged as PIC. When an instructor is aboard, since the student is not rated in the aircraft, flight instruction is still logged as dual not PIC.
-------------------------------------------------

-mark

[ QUOTE ]

You're not qualified in the aircraft until your checkride. Don't log it as PIC

[/ QUOTE ]Keep reading. Try the part of 61.51 that starts "A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time ..."

Back