Logging time question

That language was inserted into 61.51(e)(1)(i) when the Sport Pilot stuff was added (2005?), so I infer that it applies only to those with that certificate. I asked the FAA to include a definition in 61.1 of what "has privileges" means so no one is inclined to apply it to other endorsements such as complex, etc. We'll see if that turns up in the upcoming new Part 61.
The problem isn't the unintended consequence of meaning that you can't log in a complex, etc without the endorsement - the "or" takes care of that.

The problem question is whether an unintended consequence is that a pilot endorsed for solo privileges in a different category/class (or type) now has "privileges" that will allow logging of instruction received in that category/class (or type) without being rated.

btw, close - it was Sept. 2004.

The problem isn't the unintended consequence of meaning that you can't log in a complex, etc without the endorsement - the "or" takes care of that.

The problem question is whether an unintended consequence is that a pilot endorsed for solo privileges in a different category/class (or type) now has "privileges" that will allow logging of instruction received in that category/class (or type) without being rated.

btw, close - it was Sept. 2004.

This is what I was wondering. I think I remember hearing of a flight school claiming they could us "has privileges" to allow a student with a Solo endorsement for a twin to log PIC in the twin, whilst receiving instruction (and not using the "performing the duties off" deal).

This is what I was wondering. I think I remember hearing of a flight school claiming they could us "has privileges" to allow a student with a Solo endorsement for a twin to log PIC in the twin, whilst receiving instruction (and not using the "performing the duties off" deal).
The language certainly would allow that view. But my bet is that, if asked, Floght Standards and/or the FAA Chief Counsel say that the "has privileges" language is there solely to allow sport pilots (who do not have ratings) to log PIC and does not apply to the out-of-category/class(/type) recreational, private, commercial or ATP.

It doesn't make any sense to me to fly 250 NM away by myself and not be able to bring along the wife or a friend even if they have no idea how to fly the airplane. That's a pretty boring flight!

Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong because I would love to bring someone along with me. But as I understand it...I can't.

That's right - all by yourself.

And if the thought of a 250NM flight seems boring, you might want to rethink the career change. ;)

I don't know, safety pilot time has spoiled me. I hate going up by myself these days; it's super boring.

That's right - all by yourself.

And if the thought of a 250NM flight seems boring, you might want to rethink the career change. ;)

Too late to rethink that! My wife might kill me! :sarcasm:

I've flown hours on end with nothing to look at but still somehow enjoyed just being in the air. I do think that having someone to shoot the breeze with and soak up the awesome views does make it a little more enjoyable.

Also, having someone else up front helps to weigh it down and keep the ride a little less bumpy. I'm not taking 120 lbs of beef jerky to to add some weight :)

61.51 is the only regulation that tells you how to log PIC. I am not sure why you would need a separate column for it.

If you don't track them separately then you're going to spend hours filling out job applications. You need to be able to find your PIC time, in a variety of different break downs, which only include time when you were the one responsible for the airplane.

Airlines will want to see a PIC number that when added to dual, SIC and solo equals total time. Your logbook should be in a format that makes it easy for you to find that information. Keep track of it however you like.

Back