Logging Simulator Time

Jdehawk

I've been using a PCATD for some ifr training and there seem to be different ways people log things. Here's how I log it:

- For a PCATD it can only be logged if it is dual received
- It is simulator/ftd time depending on the logbook

- It is NOT total time, or anything related to flight time.
- I don't put it in the simulated instrument column, but it can apply towards the simulated time up to 10 hrs if there is a necessity to do that.
- It does NOT count towards Total Time.

What do you guys think? I have people thinking it counts towards total time and simulated time which I don't agree with because it makes it look like flight time in the logbook. Thanks for the input.

I went to the back of my log book an started pages with sim time, that way there is no way the time is confused when I am adding up the pages. It is still good time as far as I am concerned in order to get the CAX. After that why even log it? Unless it is one of the big dogs at Flight Safety or such, or if you use one for 61.57.

This doesn't directly apply to the question, but distinguishes between the new categorization of AATD and BATD, also how they relate to the old categories of FTD levels and what can be legally logged. AC 61-136. I just thought you might find the reading interesting, as it says all people using sims should read it.

More to the question at hand, as long as it is consistent and can be reasonable explained, how you log the time is up to you. I personally just put it in the ground trainer column and make sure the remarks explain what it is, and of course the Serial Number and location of the sim.

If you end up logging a lot of sim time a second log book can be good for that.

Just a little follow up, but what constitutes "authorized instructor." CFI, CFII?

Just a little follow up, but what constitutes "authorized instructor." CFI, CFII?

61.1 (b) (2)
(2) Authorized instructor means--
(i) A person who holds a valid ground instructor certificate issued under part 61 or part 143 of this chapter when conducting ground training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her ground instructor certificate;
(ii) A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate; or
(iii) A person authorized by the Administrator to provide ground training or flight training under SFAR No. 58, or part 61, 121, 135, or 142 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with that authority.

So basically if you are a CFI teaching a single engine VFR student you can teach any of the time required for that rating. including instrument time for that rating. If you have an instrument student then his instrument time must be taught by a CFII for the purposes of his rating.

This is my theory on it. Please let me know if I am incorrect

If you have an instrument student then his instrument time must be taught by a CFII for the purposes of his rating.

That is interesting, I always thought A CFI could do any sim time.

(d) Aeronautical experience. A person who applies for an instrument rating must have logged the following:

(2) A total of 40 hours of actual or simulated instrument time on the areas of operation of this section, to include—

(i) At least 15 hours of instrument flight training from an authorized instructor in the aircraft category for which the instrument rating is sought;

So you don't have to be a II to teach the majority of the applicants hood flying but you do have to be a II to teach the sim time?
(e) Use of flight simulators or flight training devices. If the instrument training was provided by an authorized instructor in a flight simulator or flight training device—

(2) A maximum of 20 hours may be performed in that flight simulator or flight training device if the training was not accomplished in accordance with part 142 of this chapter.

I could be missing something.
I have about 3-4 hours in a sim, never logged it and have never taken a student in sim. This is not my area of expertise, so i am interested too.

Thats the way I read it too, IF it is towards the instrument rating. For the 50 hours toward the commercial or 2.5 towards the private I don't think it matters.

An IGI also could do the sim training toward the Instrument, from the way I read it, so one more reason to go take the quick written for the IGI, or just go ahead and get your CFII.

If I get motivated enough I may send a letter to the FSDO seeking clarification, but that takes forever for a response. Especially the DC FSDO

you and I both have the CFII , so it doesn't matter too much to me in the grand scheme of things, but it is an interesting question nonetheless, and would be nice to know for sure.

Back